What's new
What's new

Fanuc 16MA error E-stop or overtravel

Corn

Aluminum
Hi,

I recently bought used Robodrill which has Fanuc 16MA controller and from the day one it has given error "1003 emergency stop or overtravel" in every cold start. I can continue by pressing "Emergency reset" button and everything seem to be fine except the soft limits are off for every axis. So to overcome this I need to start the machine by pressing P and CAN simultaneusly to reset soft limits and teach machine zero for all axis. I have changed the four D cells for the memory. I'm shutting off the machine the way manual says: first Off then Main circuit switch. I'm not finding any help from the manual how to overcome this. I wonder do I need to somehow record the teached zero positions to the machine memory? Or is this normal behaviour when cold starting the machine, if in industry they stay on 24/7...

Thank you.

Or is this normal behaviour when cold starting the machine, if in industry they stay on 24/7...

Hello Corn,
No its not normal.

If you can follow Ladder Logic, or know someone who can, you should have a hard copy of the PLC (PMC in Fanuc talk) you, or they can look at. Using this document, find the area in the Ladder where the error is being raised and work backwards identifying the criteria that will cause rise to this error. Once you have found the general area in the Ladder Hard Copy, look at the same area in the Ladder Program in the Control and check the status of the various components that will cause the error. You can also look at the status of Real and Internal switches found in the Hard Copy, via the diagnostic pages of the Control.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks Bill. I checked the diagnostics and only item which was on was 014 waiting for reset.
Diagnostics.jpg

I noticed that on the right hand side electrical cabinet wire TB2-36 is disconnected. I wonder why. I'm not sure what is this wire but tracking down it might be the left cabinet door switch... Not sure though. If only I had the schematics, but unfortunately no schemas on maintenance manual what I have. Any idea what might this wire be? Dare I connect it?
disconnected_wire.jpg

I checked the PMC alarms messages and no triggered alarms
PMC_alarm.jpg

However I found similar thread from other forum that someone had same error on 16i-LA control and there someone said to check from ladder G8 bit 4 and X8 bit 4 to be on. So I did and G8.4 was 1 but X8.4 was 0.

I was also wondering, as I don't have the flood coolant pump connected, just the motor wires isolated. Hopefully it is not checking any resistivity or load from that what could cause this?

Edit: Tracked down the TB2-36 and it really was the door switch for electrical cabinet. Connected it and now it gives error message "2001 The door of the splash guard is open". Maybe it's the side lift off door switch not working..

...... If only I had the schematics, but unfortunately no schemas on maintenance manual what I have. Any idea what might this wire be? Dare I connect it?

Without a schematic to know what it does, I'd be hesitant to connect it without doing some detective work first. The different labeling on the "jumper" wire connected to terminal 41 makes me think this is part of a mod from a previous owner. I'd be trying to determine if these wires are inputs, outputs, power distribution, whatever, before making changes.

Getting a schematic should really be a top priority. It is near to impossible to keep an old machine running long term without it

.....However I found similar thread from other forum that someone had same error on 16i-LA control and there someone said to check from ladder G8 bit 4 and X8 bit 4 to be on. So I did and G8.4 was 1 but X8.4 was 0.

G8.4 is the emergency stop signal from he PMC to the CNC. It is an inverse signal meaning that 1 indicates off. X8.4 is often used in the e-stop signal circuit, but the machine builder can reassign that to another function in their ladder program. You would need to look at your ladder documentation or the on screen ladder to confirm how your machine is set up.

If you WSRCH for G008.4 in the ladder you can see the conditions required to set that to off. Using the search function to follow the logic backwards you can find the condition that is not being met.

.....I was also wondering, as I don't have the flood coolant pump connected, just the motor wires isolated. Hopefully it is not checking any resistivity or load from that what could cause this?

The control does not look for connection to a motor of the coolant pump. It may be set up to check the condition of the thermal overload on that motor contactor as well as any other motors. Again that is up to the machine builder's choice. You would need to look at the schematic to determine how or what was connected.

I found out that the right hand side lift off door switch NC contacts were defective. I did jump wire that but the error message didn't disappear. I see that the previous owner has jump wired TB2-20 and 21. Maybe that connection is messing up the alarm circuit. Gotta find the schemas..

I'm not familiar how to track in the ladder the conditions what is needed to set it off. Is there anywhere instructions how to do that? Btw. it was X 8.4 which was 0 was it typo or should I track down the G8.1 even though it was 1?

Section 4.3.2 of the Fanuc 16 Maintenance manual 62755EN.

Oh, I don't have that manual. Only B-61805E/03 Fanuc Series 16 Maintenance manual and 68625E Robodrill alpha T10A maintenance manual. Neither of those describes nothing about the ladder. Just PMC diagnostics. However when I press the ladder soft button it says it is protected..

I tracked down all the door switches draw the schematics of them. There are two circuits parallel NO's and serial NC's. Put jumper for NC and detached wire from NO circuit. It is not nagging door signals anymore but the cold start "1003 Emergency stop or overtravel" will still appear. However it can be reseted by Emergency reset button from MDI panel. Right after boot when the 1003 is present as well as 014 waiting for reset, G8.4 = 0 and X8.4 = 0. After the reset button press G8.4 = 1 and X 8.4 = 0 and 014 waiting for reset = 0. No alarms and machine works well except the soft limits are off.

So something sketchy happens on startup sequence which goes away by reset button... Btw. behind alarm history button it says 1003 to be external alarm.

If KeepRelay K17 bit 0 is 1, set it to 0 and see if you can access the ladder. That is the "typical" way to protect the ladder that most builders use. Since Fanuc is the builder, they may have some other method that I don't know of. The last Robodrill I worked on is about 20 years older than yours!

External alarms are generated by the PMC for display on the CNC screen. Address A drives them. With the alarm present, look at the A addresses in PMC Diagnostics. Note which address and bit is in the 1 state.

If you get to where you can see your ladder, then WSRCH on the A address and bit that you found to be in the 1 state and then backtrack the logic to see what drives that alarm.

All A addresses are 0. Is there any other address which might give hint?

Edit: I'm not sure does this tell anything but F1.1 = 1 which is CNC being reset signal.
Edit2: I checked K17 bit 0 and 1 are both 1. I tried to change that but nothing happens. When parameter protection is on it says when trying to change it that it is protected. When parameter protection is off it doesn't say anything but it stays 1. I tried input and alter button, no luck. Is there some spesific technic to change it to 0?

All A addresses are 0. Is there any other address which might give hint?

When the 1003 alarm is active all the A addresses are 0??? That would be really odd. The official description for the PMC A adresses is "Message Request Signal". This is the only method that I am aware of to display text on the CNC display regarding an external alarm and is the typical method for a machine builder to use. Since Fanuc is the builder and they know way more about their controls and capabilities than I do it could be done other ways I guess.

Edit: I'm not sure does this tell anything but F1.1 = 1 which is CNC being reset signal.

F1.1 being 1 means the CNC is in the reset mode. The PMC sees this as an input so that the machine builder can use this in any logic they want to execute or abort should the CNC be reset.

Edit2: I checked K17 bit 0 and 1 are both 1. I tried to change that but nothing happens. When parameter protection is on it says when trying to change it that it is protected. When parameter protection is off it doesn't say anything but it stays 1. I tried input and alter button, no luck. Is there some spesific technic to change it to 0?

Not usually. Be sure that under the Setting page Parameter Write is set to 1 before trying to change. Also I have seen where MDI must be the active mode.

I do see that K19 bit 1 is described as...

0 = Without protection for input 1 = With protection for input

Is this set to 1 on your machine? If so, maybe try setting to 0.

Yes, that's true that all A addresses were 0 when the 1003 were on. However I'm starting to believe that something sketchy is happening at the startup sequence. Maybe some A address could be 1 on some point of startup but it is just a split second and it continues the startup but the error stays in the memory. When emergency reset is pressed there might not be any errors present anymore. I actually went through X,Y & Z limit switches and all of them seem to work. Zip tied one switch to on and turned machine on. Same 1003 error but this time the emergency reset button didn't clear the issue. However there is two switches. The other for hard limit and other for is it home position. When I zip tied the home position switch it did not have any effect on the system. But all three axis switches measured to be working anyways.

Could it be that some relay related to that emergency circuitry is say, slow and machine does register that faulty condition before it pulls. Does it make any sense, maybe not. But this doesn't explain why X8.4 is always 0..

What comes to the K19.1 It seems that it is 0 already.

Back