What's new
What's new

Fanuc 18-T questions

lumley32

Cast Iron
I've searched all over but can't find what I need to know!

I have a new to me lathe coming that has a Fanuc 18-T control, and I have questions.

What's the difference between the 18 and 18i?

What I really am interested in is the program transfer, can you network the 18-T?

How much storage dose the 18 have? Are there options to expand it?

The series come in 5+ generations: A, B, C, iA and iB.
To give you answers, the exact model is needed. The best way is to give the part # of the MAIN type: e.g. A16B-3200-0210 is a 18C. That part # will be on the Fanuc spec sheet, and on the bottom of the actual MAIN board.

Thanks for the quick reply, I've had a look at time lines and by the year it should be a 18iA. This is assuming it was the most modern control available at the time the machine was built, but it is well into the iA time line.

I will try and get the board numbers in the next few days.

I may be wrong but I think the difference between the two is that the i version has the SuperCAPi conversational programming.

If you are dooing basic 2x turning - this won't matter, but the one main thing that pertains to me is that the i can nest local subroutines.
If interested, you can google that and it will bring you right back here...

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

My Fanuc 16T lathe (w/ live tools+Y) has half a megabyte, but that is probably an option they added way back when. I can actually do some basic 3d surfacing, and in fact I used it on a small job that came in a couple days ago. I am assuming 512kb is around the max on a 20+ year old Fanuc 16. Basic turning stuff won't use near that much memory.

For RS232 file transfer you can buy a little box to transfer programs for you, or connect it to an ethernet RS232 server like a Moxa nport. I haven't done the networked variety of RS232 file transfer personally. Also, it takes literally 10 minutes to transfer 400kb over RS232 at low baud rates. Machine still worth every penny.

Yeah, I like the Calmation or Shop Floor Automation units for this app.

The i has a card reader beside the CRT.

-------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

The i has a card reader beside the CRT.

right, looks like it's not an i then. I wasn't planning on doing much milling on it so it's not a massive problem I will look into the RS232 option.

Edit, just got hold of the manuals, its a 18T-C, so does that restrict me to RS232? are there any memory upgrades available like the 0T?

Being that it is a lathe, I would expect that it has about the least amount of memmory available.
I would expect that you could upgrade mem on it a lot, but just how much code doo you need in a lathe without a Y?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back