What's new
What's new

Fanuc 18T P/S 009 Alarm "Illegal address input"

Other Brother

Hot Rolled
I had a customer that called yesterday who was getting a P/S 009 alarm on a Hardinge Conquest lathe with a Fanuc 18T every time they tried to run a program. I think the alarm said "Illegal address input" or something like that. They had already tried to run a bunch of different programs with no luck. The position screen had changed from axis letters like X and Z to numbers 1 and 2.

It sounded like someone had changed a parameter so I suggested to re-load the parameters which solved the issue.

My question is what happened? The operator said he didn't change any parameters and he had been running the same program, just making offset changes. Could this happen by powering off the control before hitting the e-stop button? I always tell customers to e-stop the machine before powering off the control.

Has anyone here had similar issues like this? I am a bit confused if the operator is telling the truth about not changing a parameter.

Attachments

• novex.jpg
    novex.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 174
Really odd! Hard to imagine this problem occurring. I don't think powering off the control without e-stop first would cause this. Turning off the main breaker before powering down the control is IME, a poor practice. More so with the 0,3,6,10,11,12,and 15 series controls than the 16,18,10, and 30 series.

Any question about the condition of the backup batteries? Did the trouble occur right after booting the control or mid-operation? If it happened right at boot up then I can imagine that something happened while data was being transferred from FROM to SRAM at the boot up. Parameters and programs are stored in SRAM and the ladder (and any builder macros (User Made Macro function)if equipped) is stored in FROM and transferred to SRAM at boot up. Something gone wrong in that process? Weird!

The PS009 alarm means an unusable character was read. That means something other than an alpha-numeric or . - ( ) and maybe : was in the CNC programs (or a few others if they were using a macro program). Parameter 1.1 switches between F16/18 and F15 program format. Not sure of all the differences in those formats, but possibly F15 format may not allow some character that F16/18 does. The 0 series had a parameter that could switch between using : and O for program numbers. Not sure if the 18 has similar. Don't recall seeing it anyway.

If the contents of parameter 1020 are 0 then you get the axes labeled numerically like shown on the pic you attached.

Sure smells of data corruption to me.

I was hoping you would see this and reply. I agree it was probably corruption on power up but I didn't get all of the necessary information or details to troubleshoot. This customer stays on top of battery changes and backups thank goodness. Thanks for the parameter 1020 info, that has been noted! Daryl

Back