What's new
What's new

FANUC 30i Controller Corner Contour Control Problem (G5.1 R10 Q1)

atakan

Plastic
Hello Everybody,

For my research, I need to run the G Code on corner contour mode is on. When I first inserted the activation code G5.1 Q1 it worked. however, I could not make it happen again. I might have done some little changes but I do not remember what I did.

I would like to give some experimental results to explain the problem more.
When I do not use G5.1 command, the feedrate does not decreased on the corners. ( it may seem like it decreases, but it does not actually. I can explain why if needed )
1.JPG
When I inserted the G5.1at first, the velocity profile was (Correct, what I wanted to see):
2.JPG
When I made tried it again the same code (I might have done little changes as I said but, G5.1 was still there) I was getting the result all the time which is incorrect. And the result was being shown regardless what the tolerance value is (R1...R10)
3.JPG

If you can mention what I could have done wrong I would be so glad. Whatever I tried I could not get the result like 2. image.

Thank you in advance.

Couple of things:

1- G5.1 is a Fanuc thing, but different machine tool builders can implement it differently. First thing to do here is dig into the machine documentation and see if they give any guidance on the topic. If they do not, and you are sure the machine is G5.1 capable, go with the Fanuc default implementation from their programming manual.

2- Fanuc has some funky rules about implementing G5.1. It must be canceled before a tool change, in some setups you need to G5.1 Q0 before switching between R values. Basically, make sure you are following the fussy implementation details. For example, if you called R10 for testing, but never canceled it, you might be inadvertently keeping the settings at R10 in subsequent operations. You also might have the machine set up to run in a default mode you are unaware of.

3- G5.1 (like Brother's M298 or Haas's M187 systems) is driven by tables and tables of parameters deep in the system side of the control. Are you sure the MTB has set these up correctly? R1 - R10 will act identical if they are being driven by identical parameters. Again, this goes back to the quality of the MTB - if this is a Yasda or a Doosan; those guys are going to dial everything in really well from the factory. If it is Hung Far Low Machines of Shenzhen...? Not so much! Unlike Heidenhain or Siemens, Fanuc ships control packages off to whoever buys them and doesn't care how they are implemented.

OP says it is a 30i, I would venture a guess it is either a high-end machine (like the Yasda mentioned) or a retrofit/custom machine.

The way G5.1 is set up is that R1 and R10 are set in parameters for accel/decel and R2 through R9 are interpolated between R1 And R10. R values are retained when Q0 is used so that the last R value is reinstated if all you do is use G5.1 Q1 with no R value. Also, there is a parameter that sets an R value on startup. In typical Fanuc fashion, there is also another parameter that prevents the startup value from working. The initial parameter values are set by the MTB, not Fanuc. The size of the machine, weight of the table and even the weight of the workpiece should be considered. Out of the box values may NOT work for everyone equally.
Then you have G5.1 Q3 if you have Smooth Tolerance control. This is a better option since you set a tolerance value that the servos cannot deviate from the programmed tool path by the set tolerance value.

Paul

Thank you for your reply. My machine is Mori Seiki N3150 and controller is FANUC 30i as I mentioned. What kind of a documentation should I look to find that? Btw, I can use G8 command instead of G5.1. The result is the same. Apparently I need to reset something. I tried the things you mentioned but unfortunately no result...

Thank you for your reply. My machine is Mori Seiki N3150 and controller is FANUC 30i as I mentioned. What kind of a documentation should I look to find that? Btw, I can use G8 command instead of G5.1. The result is the same. Apparently I need to reset something. I tried the things you mentioned but unfortunately no result...

I am not familiar with that model,
But

Mori has their own smoothing/highspeed lookahead thing going on. I cant remember how to activate it. Someone here will know. I have used it on Dura verticals.

edit
this is an NT? what axis combinations are we talking about?

I am not familiar with that model,
But

Mori has their own smoothing/highspeed lookahead thing going on. I cant remember how to activate it. Someone here will know. I have used it on Dura verticals.

edit
this is an NT? what axis combinations are we talking about?

yes it is NT 3150. It is 5 axes turn milling. But I am only using the milling. I am desperately in need of getting this done. Isnt there anyone you know who can help me. To some extend I can pay for the consultancy.

I phoned a friend for you, i looked on these NLXs here. They dont have this menu. But they are Mits and lathes.
I also dont have it on a first gen MAAPS NH ~03

Picture comes from a maaps 4 Duravertical

Settings-9 cutting mode selection

20210430_102243.jpg

I phoned a friend for you, i looked on these NLXs here. They dont have this menu. But they are Mits and lathes.
I also dont have it on a first gen MAAPS NH ~03

Picture comes from a maaps 4 Duravertical

Settings-9 cutting mode selection

View attachment 320227

fwiw my mapps iv NTX has this same page in the manual, but it's expanded on with what the G05 requires, and how to use the G332 cutting mode in tandem with it. OP you may want to grab a copy of the programming manual for it.

Back