What's new
What's new

Fanuc 31i B G54-G59 is not enough

SpeedsandFeeds

Aluminum
I have a fixture with 16 separate v-blocks to hold .750 OD part with a body flat ground along one side of the entire OD. We are resting the flat on one side of the “V” to orientate the flat in the y-axis. I am using a probing subprogram currently to pick up G54-G59 and then running all 6 parts roughing first then finishing. I cant seem to figure out why my machine only has G54-G59 available for setting Work offsets. How would i go about probing all 16 parts and storing the locations in variables and then calling those coordinates to get to the origin without using G54-G59? Probe is Renishaw OMP-40. Our way around this is to load all 16 parts pick up the first 6 parts in G54-59 rough and finish then use G10 to get us close for the next 6 parts and pick those up with the probe and reset 54-59 rough and finish, then G10 again for the last 4 parts to get us close and pick them up with probe and reset 54-57. Then G10 one last time to reset the initial G54-G59 for the next cycle.....hahhahaha. Anyone got any bright ideas to make this better?
Thanks,
Speedsandfeeds.

Well... you could always purchase from Fanuc the 48 additional offsets usually available on Fanuc controls. The easiest solution, although maybe not the cheapest.

From your description it appears you want/need 16 discreet registers to store 16 discreet locations in all at the same time. Off the top of my head I can't think of any way short of buying them.

If you have Macro B you may be able to do something there, though I wouldn't be the one to offer a Macro solution.

On 2nd thought, if you're using a fixture, why aren't fixture locations known and programmable with on the fly offset changes? Are you mounting and locating castings?

I have a fixture with 16 separate v-blocks to hold .750 OD part with a body flat ground along one side of the entire OD. We are resting the flat on one side of the “V” to orientate the flat in the y-axis. I am using a probing subprogram currently to pick up G54-G59 and then running all 6 parts roughing first then finishing. I cant seem to figure out why my machine only has G54-G59 available for setting Work offsets. How would i go about probing all 16 parts and storing the locations in variables and then calling those coordinates to get to the origin without using G54-G59? Probe is Renishaw OMP-40. Our way around this is to load all 16 parts pick up the first 6 parts in G54-59 rough and finish then use G10 to get us close for the next 6 parts and pick those up with the probe and reset 54-59 rough and finish, then G10 again for the last 4 parts to get us close and pick them up with probe and reset 54-57. Then G10 one last time to reset the initial G54-G59 for the next cycle.....hahhahaha. Anyone got any bright ideas to make this better?
Thanks,
Speedsandfeeds.

One way to do it would be probe to get G54 to G58, then probe location #7 into G59, and save the X/Y/Z coordinates in variables like:
#200 = #5201 (X)
#201 = #5202 (Y)
#202 = #5203 (Z)

Then probe location #8 and do the same but use #203-205, then probe #9 and save it in 206-208, etc. Then go back and probe location #6 and put it into G59... run your first six parts and then load your next set of WCS's back into the WCS variables from your common variables, then run those 6.. and then repeat for the last parts.

Look at this site for a reference on the variable #'s

Parameterized Programming: Macro Variables for Fanuc

Couldn't you set your offsets with G54.1? I've had a few jobs where I had to use G54.1 P1-Pwhatever on top of the standard offsets. It's part of the 48 extra offsets 13engines is talking about. It comes standard on most controls these days. If not, whoever bought the machine should have negotiated better.

If you are using the HMI interface. Go to work offsets and hit the tab button. That will bring you to the G54.1 P1-P48 work offsets.

Well... you could always purchase from Fanuc the 48 additional offsets usually available on Fanuc controls. The easiest solution, although maybe not the cheapest.

From your description it appears you want/need 16 discreet registers to store 16 discreet locations in all at the same time. Off the top of my head I can't think of any way short of buying them.

If you have Macro B you may be able to do something there, though I wouldn't be the one to offer a Macro solution.

On 2nd thought, if you're using a fixture, why aren't fixture locations known and programmable with on the fly offset changes? Are you mounting and locating castings?

Exactly what I was thinking. If it is a fixture,and not removing from machine...? Even if you are removing it to load, can't you dowel it to a sub-plate, or do you have access to zero point tooling or similar?

Thanks for the input guys! Much appreciated. My 31i does not have the extended work offsets(to my best knowledge....nowhere to be found in the offset page) Im gonna see if i can get the variable method to work for this project.
Thanks all for the advice!

If you don't have the G54.1 Pxx offsets, and it would be odd that you don't as most 30/31/32 controls do, the option can be field installed for a nominal cost. It would take about 30 minutes tops. Locknut is correct, it's very rare that these controls don't have them. Using the G10 function is a good idea and works well, I've done that on old Fanuc 11s.

If you don't have the G54.1 Pxx offsets, and it would be odd that you don't as most 30/31/32 controls do, the option can be field installed for a nominal cost. It would take about 30 minutes tops. Locknut is correct, it's very rare that these controls don't have them. Using the G10 function is a good idea and works well, I've done that on old Fanuc 11s.

Yeah, that's like buying a top end Rolls-Royce and cheaping out and getting cloth seats.

To be honest this brings up something I have been wondering. I have a Doosan DNM 5700 with the 0i-MF and have never needed more than the standard G54-G59. I have a new product where it would be very useful to have about 20 parts in at a time.

I am going to assume I have the G54.1, etc. extended stuff but no clue were to even look. Standard offset screen just shows the normal ones. Do I have to hit a softkey or something?

Thanks for any direction.

To be honest this brings up something I have been wondering. I have a Doosan DNM 5700 with the 0i-MF and have never needed more than the standard G54-G59. I have a new product where it would be very useful to have about 20 parts in at a time.

I am going to assume I have the G54.1, etc. extended stuff but no clue were to even look. Standard offset screen just shows the normal ones. Do I have to hit a softkey or something?

Thanks for any direction.

Jaxian,
If you go to the Work Offset page and page down past G59 you should see a new page with P1 through P48. A while back Doosan offered these as an option but within the last few years we started to put them on our controls as standard. Yours may or may not have them. But it is extremely unusual for any 30 series control to not have them. But, it depends on the MTB. Some may simply cheap out and that is exactly what it is, cheaping out. When a control costs upwards of 20K and they try to save a couple hundred bucks? Who gets hurt the most?

Thanks,
Speedsandfeeds.

If the relative positions of the first six parts are exactly same as the relative positions of the next six parts, then just by changing the EXTernal offset, all 12 can be machined with the same G54-G59.

Back