What's new
What's new

Fanuc 31i Model B write protect

sash1ca35

Plastic
Hi
Need some help, I'm trying to copy a program from the Data server to CNC memory on Fanuc 31i model B control. Every time I try to copy I get a Write Protect popping up. When I try to copy from CNC memory to the Data server no problems at all. I wonder if there is a memory protect that has to be disabled first. Can't seem to see any parameter for an option like that in the parameter manual. Program Protect Key is unlocked also.
Thanks

Just seen this and yes I probably was butt posting. My apologies.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

What is the program number? If it's in the 8000-9000 range those are protected and you have to change parameter 3202 bit 1 for 8000-8999 (NE8) and 3202.4 for 9000-9999 (NE9) range though you really shouldn't be messing with those.

I currently experience a simular thing.
I transferred a program from USB to data server. When I wanted to select it for machining, I couldn't. Older programs don't have that problem. Copying to CNCMEM shows "write protected". A solution to get around the problem, was transferring from usb to cncmem and then moving to data server. All this was the same on 2 controls with different programnumbers not even close to O8000.
In the program directory, with "details on", I noticed "R/B" behind the file. Some others had it to.
Is there a setting to protect all the files?

I'm having similar issue with 31i model B as well. When I imported program from USB to machine memory, it refused to open it and refused to delete it either as it said it is protected. Lock symbol was not on which can be set by button "edit protection". Program number was O0343 so not in protected range. I had to re-import the same program to number O0345 and no issues. Is there a bug in the Fanuc control or could I possibly do something wrong to make this happen?

Did anyone find a resolution to this? We are having the same issue when trying to copy from Data Server to CNC Memory. The issue seems to be related to file permissions...we found when uploading via FTP binary transfer mode (usually the default for most FTP clients), the file permissions get changed to read-only (regardless of what they were originally), and you get the Write Protect error when trying to copy to CNC Memory. If you upload the file via FTP transfer mode ASCII, the file permissions remain intact and the file can be successfully copied to CNC Memory, but there's formatting differences that we are unsure if they will affect the program.

We also came across something called "Protection of Data at Eight Levels" in the manual, but we're not sure if thats relevant. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Just wanted to follow up and see if anyone ever got this figured out. I attached an image where you can see "R/B" next to the file (like 77070308338 mentioned). It seems when transferred via ftp binary mode, the file permissions are set to read only and you get the "Write Protected" error when trying to copy from the data server to cnc memory.

Attachments

• Fanuc_DataServer_WriteProtected.jpg
    Fanuc_DataServer_WriteProtected.jpg
    622.8 KB · Views: 18
I had the same issue when i ran that control. Its been a while but I think if u hit that Custom 1 or custom 2 button it will basically take you out of regular fanuc operating screen and will look like a whole new operating system. I was able to do everything from there, just make sure you are on the right channel.

Hi
Need some help, I'm trying to copy a program from the Data server to CNC memory on Fanuc 31i model B control. Every time I try to copy I get a Write Protect popping up. When I try to copy from CNC memory to the Data server no problems at all. I wonder if there is a memory protect that has to be disabled first. Can't seem to see any parameter for an option like that in the parameter manual. Program Protect Key is unlocked also.
Thanks
The "Write Protect" alarm on a FANUC 31i model B controller suggests that the CNC system is preventing the writing of data to the CNC memory, which could be due to several reasons. Here’s what you might need to check or do to resolve this issue:

1. Parameter Write Enable (PWE):
- Ensure that PWE (Parameter Write Enable) is turned on to allow changes. You can set this on the settings screen, but remember to turn it back off after you're done to prevent unauthorized changes.

2. Program Protect Key:
- You mentioned that the Program Protect Key is unlocked. Double-check to make sure it’s fully unlocked and that the control is recognizing this status.

3. Protective Settings in Data Server:
- There may be settings specific to the Data Server that prevent writing to CNC memory to protect existing programs or data. Look for any settings on the Data Server that might control write permissions.

4. CNC Memory Protect Setting:
- Some machines have a switch or setting on the machine operation panel that controls memory write protection. Ensure this is not set to the protect position.

5. Parameter Settings:
- Some FANUC controls have parameters that manage program storage and editing capabilities. Check for parameters related to memory protection and make sure they're set to allow program writing.

6. Operator Lock:
- There might be an operator lock function engaged via a system parameter that prevents program editing. Check your operator's manual or system parameters for this feature.

7. Program Directory Lock:
- If the program directory or the individual program within the data server is locked, this might prevent writing. Check if there’s an unlock option for directories or programs.

8. Check User Manual for Data Server Operation:
- Refer to the user manual for the Data Server as there might be different steps or settings required for transferring data from the server to CNC memory.

9. Software or Options:
- Ensure that any necessary software options that permit writing to CNC memory are installed and activated.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, there may be a need for deeper diagnostic work, possibly involving checking the software version for any known bugs or issues, and contacting FANUC support or a service technician for assistance. Always remember to document any changes you make to system settings or parameters, so you can revert them if necessary.

Answered via:
FANUC 30i/31i/32i-B CNC Troubleshooter

Back