What's new
What's new

How to set up a Hawk 150 cnc lathe(cincinati milicron controler)??????

fettersp

Aluminum
So this forum has helped me a bunch with learning a lot with the stuff I did not know when my father passed away and I inherited his machine shop.
So far I have got a handle on the edm(sorta), hone, grinders, mills, lathe, and a funac cnc lathe among other things. The only thing that is idle in the shop is the hawk150 cnc lathe. It has a bunch of programs that are crucial for a lot of the business. The problem is I do not know how to set it up(mainly on how to set tool lengths and setting zero). If anyone could help me find a manual or knows how it would be a huge help.
The machine does not have any probes.

First and foremost is setting the Turret change position. The 2100 uses M6.1 for tool change at set change position. DO NOT use M6! M6 is change in place.

Setting change position
  1. Rotate turret using the membrane keypad to the longest tool.
  2. Jog the Z axis to a minimum safe change distance.
  3. jog up in X then rotate to the longest protrusion in X
  4. Jox longest X tool to minimum change distance (Z should still be at same location you picked clearance).
  5. ON the Membrane pad scroll to "Set Tool Change Position"
  6. Press "Set"

Done, Now all you need is an M6.1 and the turret will always move to the set position. There is a lot more customisable tool changing for faster cycles but leave that alone till you get used to the 2100.

Setting tools, Generally is the same as most other machines except the graphics page. It's a good idea to get into the habit of labeling and using the tool type since the control takes into account this stuff even when you don't want it to. Hole making in general. Set your drill point angle to 180 degrees. The 2100 takes the hole making cycle to an all new level. say you set the point for 120 degrees and use a G83 and tell the Z depth to be 2.000. The control thinks you want the usable hole to be 2.0 so it will factor in the tip angle and go deeper than the programmed value. This is the same for OD/ID work tools. Make sure you define the tool direction and the tip radius. R.A.P. generated programs all use this info.

Setting the tools.
  1. Start the spindle just the same as Fanuc.
  2. Rotate to the tool you want to set.
  3. On the touch screen press tool offsets (It should automatically go to the tool that's current in position.
  4. make a facing cut and press "Set Z" (If this is all new tools then the Z must stay common for all tools)
  5. make you X cut and set the same way.
  6. Repeat for all tools

Setting work offset Z
  1. rotate manually or call in MDI and the control activates the tool offset
  2. Touch off in Z
  3. Go to the work offset page
  4. press "Set Z".
  5. Done

2100 lathe programs generally don't use work offset calls or tool offset calls unless your getting complicated and adding more than 12 tools. If you see an "H" code in the program make sure it is "H1". The 2100 does not use G54. It has 999 work offset, 999 fixture offset, and 999 pallet offsets. so it uses H1-H999.

For me that is still the finest control ever made. It will piss you off in the beginning but once you come full circle with it and see all the features you will love it.

Tapping is where it shines. In a G84 cycle all your Pots still work as well as feed hold. And the tapping code rather than figuring the feed you just set as 1/pitch
Say you are tapping 1/4-20, simply F1/20 for the code.

I wanted to add, the tailstock.... whatever you do make sure the tailstock pin is in either the font hole or the back and not at the front edge of the turret. If the pin is on the front edge and you jog the tailstock to the back of the bed your screwed. You have to make a bracket to connect the pin between the turret and the tailstock. That fkr is so heavy I had 3 big fellas trying to push it and couldn't budge it. Definitely the most solid tailstock I've ever used on a general purpose turning center.

First and foremost is setting the Turret change position. The 2100 uses M6.1 for tool change at set change position. DO NOT use M6! M6 is change in place.

Setting change position
  1. Rotate turret using the membrane keypad to the longest tool.
  2. Jog the Z axis to a minimum safe change distance.
  3. jog up in X then rotate to the longest protrusion in X
  4. Jox longest X tool to minimum change distance (Z should still be at same location you picked clearance).
  5. ON the Membrane pad scroll to "Set Tool Change Position"
  6. Press "Set"

Done, Now all you need is an M6.1 and the turret will always move to the set position. There is a lot more customisable tool changing for faster cycles but leave that alone till you get used to the 2100.

Setting tools, Generally is the same as most other machines except the graphics page. It's a good idea to get into the habit of labeling and using the tool type since the control takes into account this stuff even when you don't want it to. Hole making in general. Set your drill point angle to 180 degrees. The 2100 takes the hole making cycle to an all new level. say you set the point for 120 degrees and use a G83 and tell the Z depth to be 2.000. The control thinks you want the usable hole to be 2.0 so it will factor in the tip angle and go deeper than the programmed value. This is the same for OD/ID work tools. Make sure you define the tool direction and the tip radius. R.A.P. generated programs all use this info.

Setting the tools.
  1. Start the spindle just the same as Fanuc.
  2. Rotate to the tool you want to set.
  3. On the touch screen press tool offsets (It should automatically go to the tool that's current in position.
  4. make a facing cut and press "Set Z" (If this is all new tools then the Z must stay common for all tools)
  5. make you X cut and set the same way.
  6. Repeat for all tools

Setting work offset Z
  1. rotate manually or call in MDI and the control activates the tool offset
  2. Touch off in Z
  3. Go to the work offset page
  4. press "Set Z".
  5. Done

2100 lathe programs generally don't use work offset calls or tool offset calls unless your getting complicated and adding more than 12 tools. If you see an "H" code in the program make sure it is "H1". The 2100 does not use G54. It has 999 work offset, 999 fixture offset, and 999 pallet offsets. so it uses H1-H999.

For me that is still the finest control ever made. It will piss you off in the beginning but once you come full circle with it and see all the features you will love it.

Tapping is where it shines. In a G84 cycle all your Pots still work as well as feed hold. And the tapping code rather than figuring the feed you just set as 1/pitch
Say you are tapping 1/4-20, simply F1/20 for the code.

I was able to find a cheat sheet that my father created to set up a new job but now the issue I am running into is the if I put X to 1.533 the machine wants to go way below the part opposed to right above it in MDI. If the machine is put into program the machine will go to the exact location of right above the part but the z is in the wrong position because z zero has not been set yet. IDK what is going on and only need to deal with this to start running the machine again. please help!!!!!!!

Post a snippet of the code as well as your MDI code. The control has a Fanuc translator in it and if the program was written for a fanuc then translated sometimes it calls a work offset (The best I remember).

As far as setting the Z just call the tool M6.1 TXXX M3S???? then make your skim cut. offset settings and press fetch machine Z.

BUT, Make sure you have set your tool change position. I can't stress that enough. If it's not at a safe place you could drive the tools through the sheetmetal and then index it.

I tried uploading the pictures for the process but something is going on with PM right now and wont let me. Heres the Hawk Manual, I think its in Chapter 3.

Cincinnati Hawk Turning Center Operating Programming pdf - CNC Manual

Post a snippet of the code as well as your MDI code. The control has a Fanuc translator in it and if the program was written for a fanuc then translated sometimes it calls a work offset (The best I remember).

As far as setting the Z just call the tool M6.1 TXXX M3S???? then make your skim cut. offset settings and press fetch machine Z.

BUT, Make sure you have set your tool change position. I can't stress that enough. If it's not at a safe place you could drive the tools through the sheetmetal and then index it.

I tried uploading the pictures for the process but something is going on with PM right now and wont let me. Heres the Hawk Manual, I think its in Chapter 3.

Cincinnati Hawk Turning Center Operating Programming pdf - CNC Manual

This is the MDI that my father used for years to set up the z zero.

T11 M6
M2
G92 S3000

G0 X1.533
G1 G96 G95 X -032 S500 F.006 M13
G0 X1.533
M0
G92.1 Z0

the surface speed and rapids change with each job
The program I don't have on me at the moment but I can attest that it was made for the acramatic 2100e controller since the kia does not have a program for this job and im just lost as to why the mdi X position is way off but the program mode is on point. is it an issue if that manual is for a funac controller and I have the 2100e?

This is the MDI that my father used for years to set up the z zero.

T11 M6
M2
G92 S3000

G0 X1.533
G1 G96 G95 X -032 S500 F.006 M13
G0 X1.533
M0
G92.1 Z0

the surface speed and rapids change with each job
The program I don't have on me at the moment but I can attest that it was made for the acramatic 2100e controller since the kia does not have a program for this job and im just lost as to why the mdi X position is way off but the program mode is on point. is it an issue if that manual is for a funac controller and I have the 2100e?

the X is -.032. the issue is at the point of rapiding to X1.533

The program I don't have on me at the moment but I can attest that it was made for the acramatic 2100e controller since the kia does not have a program for this job and im just lost as to why the mdi X position is way off but the program mode is on point.

What I was saying is the 2100 has a fanuc translator so you can run Fanuc programs. But if the program was posted for the 2100 then no need to worry about that statement.

What happens if you key in
M6.1 T11
G00 X1.533

Back