What's new
What's new

FANUC 6m with Model 3 motor to Model 8?

J.Caraher

Aluminum
The Kitamura is still sitting. Found a killer deal on a model 8 motor and spindle drive. Since my DC top board is bunk again, it's going to be far less expensive to purchase and install the AC spindle motor/drive, and probably can even recoup the costs by selling my motor and drive cage. The DC spindle stuff is getting more rare and trying to look forward since the machine iron, along with all the axis, is in excellent shape.

So, is it an easy swap to change an A06B-6041-H103 with Model 3 DC motor, to a A06B-6044-H020 and Model 8 AC motor?

Never done it so don't know. Big difference in rated power. Physical motor and shaft size may be an issue. I did not look at these drive numbers you posted, but in your earlier thread I checked and the early AC drive was plug compatible with the DC drive. The AC drive will need DAC option to work with the 12 bit speed command your machine uses. I don't have details on what that option entails, but I think it is just the addition of a DAC chip and changing a jumper setting.

Your previous post was why I asked! You have been such a great help.

After an email alert came for a FANUC parts auction, and while scrolling through all the stuff, noticed the Honda CNx connectors and orient board! Even looks like it might bolt right in the cabinet. I remembered the post about AC drives being compatible....

Gotta be patient and watch the auctions. Got the current drive several years ago for about $800 shipped from Germany, which the seller still has the top board and wants $3k for it. :( I see similar whole machines (and better) auctioning off for not much more.

I get email alerts for various auction websites and scoop up spares that no one is bidding on.

Here's the AC drive auction, and why I was giddy for a minute:

FANUC A06B-6044-H020 AC SPINDLE SERVO UNIT - BTM Industrial

I found a few matching motors in the $1k range. The current drive and motor could be sold off to ease the pain, or maybe break even, but a motor that large might have issues with the way it's mounted, plus all that extra weight on the Z.

If I hadn't rebuilt the power supply a couple years ago, would have grabbed this just to have:

FANUC A14B-0061-B001 POWER UNIT - BTM Industrial

Ordered from this site before with success. Gotta pay shipping (obviously) and a 15% auction fee.

That AC drive is bigger than what would be on your mill.

My two 6M machines have -H007 and -H008 drives

I have several spare H007 drives and a matching spindle motor, but they are missing lots of small pieces. The motor is good, but I think the plug is damaged. Drives all need IGBT's and probably top board work.

It would be an undertaking.

Thanks Garwood. Sounds like I would be in a similar situation. Would be nice if the correct drive came across one of these auctions. Gonna put those part numbers in my alerts. If I can pick up a drive pulled form a running machine, may very well contact you for the motor. A broken plug doesn't bother me if it works.

Hard to believe that H020 drive was only bid up to $320. Velocity drives that match my machine were in that lot too, they sold for less than $30ea!

Hard to believe that H020 drive was only bid up to $320. Velocity drives that match my machine were in that lot too, they sold for less than $30ea!

What's the market for this older stuff?

Tried to sell one of these machines lately?

Not many are relying on these old things to make a living anymore so spending much money can't be justified.

If I were in your shoes I'd be shopping for deals on 20 year newer stuff.

I may need more room for my HMC in the next few months which would mean getting rid of a Mori VMC with the parts you need. If the machine doesn't sell whole for cheap in a hurry (unlikely) I will be happy to pull the parts you want for a reasonable price.

This machine is a hobby/fun item, not to make a living so-to-speak. In the last couple decades it has mostly been sitting around, doing very light second ops for the screw machine shop, as well as prototypes, and little tid-bits for my automotive performance operation. For some odd reason, old machines are magnetizing to me, the thing is solid to a tenth, and it was the first machine I learnt on. Nothing here at work is less than 30yr old, most is from the 60's and 70's and I keep them in good working order. Maybe it's papa's depression era thinking that stuck, I hate to see old equipment go to waste. Today's society feels like everything is disposable.

Back