What's new
What's new

Fanuc 6MB display Z with tool offset applied

adamm

Cast Iron
I have a Matsuura mill with a Fanuc 6MB controller. When running with a tool offset set by G43, the position display does not show the Z value with the offset applied. So if I have my G54 offset set such that the top of the part is Z=0, and the tool has an offset of 2.0, the display shows Z=2.0 when the tool is at the top of the part. I want it to display with the offset applied, so that it shows Z=0 at the top of the part, rather than showing the offset.

Searching around, it appears that this is controlled by a parameter in many Fanuc controls, but I haven't found any specific reference to the 6MB. I've been through my Fanuc Manual's list of parameters, and there is only one that looks like it may control this behaviour. Before I muck something up, does anyone know if this is the correct parameter?

Parameter 7, bit 1, called PPD. The description is:
1: Position display is preset by G92
0: Position display is not preset by G92

The current setting is 0

I'm generally not using G92 when running the machine, but it is the only parameter I found that deals with "Position Display".

Thank you,
Adam

I ran one of these controls for many years and never found a solution to your question.
If you use G92 from the tip of the tool, then the display would read like you want.
But I'd generally avoid using this code for anything but one off parts.

pretty sure there is a parameter setting to show the tool tip position including the offset value. I know for a fact there is one for a 10M, but I don't have a parameter list for a 6M control to tell you which one it is.

pretty sure there is a parameter setting to show the tool tip position including the offset value. I know for a fact there is one for a 10M, but I don't have a parameter list for a 6M control to tell you which one it is.

I searched around for the parameters for a 10M to change the display. I found a few that may be correct, but looking back at my 6MB manual, none of the parameters on the 6MB have similar descriptions. This must be a feature that was added to later controls.

It's been a while since ive run a 6mb, but i'm pretty sure it would display the offset position. Isn't there a display screen with 4 sets of values, machine, G5#, distance to go, and something else?

This could have also been an option, and you would need the magic codes to activate it. Do you know of a fanuc tech? If you've got an old 6m, it's hard to believe you don't. I would check with him.

It's been a while since ive run a 6mb, but i'm pretty sure it would display the offset position. Isn't there a display screen with 4 sets of values, machine, G5#, distance to go, and something else?

On my machine, the only screen that has distance to go is the third "POS" screen which shows Relative, Absolute, and Machine coordinates, along with Distance TO Go. I wonder if you're thinking of a later model control?

This could have also been an option, and you would need the magic codes to activate it. Do you know of a fanuc tech? If you've got an old 6m, it's hard to believe you don't. I would check with him.

As for a Fanuc tech, well knock on wood, it is just me and the internet.

Back