What's new
What's new

Fanuc "AC" Spindle Drive

Ox

Diamond
Well, it sure seems that I went'n done it now. :eek:

1994 Hardinge lathe
18T with old skewl drives (not Alpha's)

Two weeks ago the live tool started throwing alarms at "live tool stop" (M55)
It would stop from 50rpm, but nothing above that really, and I was running 4000rpm

I found a werk-around was to just program S0 and drive on.
For whatever reason it would go from S4000 to S0 without concern.
Ran for a day'r two?

Then it just quit mid cycle, and I couldn't get it to re-set.
By the way that it failed, it seemed to me to be the drive.
I picked up a pair of used drives on Ebay.

I switched out the drives, and still got the TG alarm, that I found to be encoder.
So I got a clean, used, one owner encoder in today.
It did not fire up immediately, as it appeared that "drive #3" was bad. (I don't remember now what the error was, but it was not TG)
So I switched it out to Drive #2 and it ran.

I finished the cycle that it was on just fine.
Then I ran a new part (cycle time 2.5 minutes)
Snug as a bug in'a rug!

So, while I don't have anyone standing there waiting to run it right now, I decided to flop amps and top boards to decide what I had that was good or bad. That's when things went down hill.

Some of the actions are blurring at this point, but where I am at currently is two f the amps are giving me the DC alarm 10 seconds after energizing.

But what is more concerning is that even with the motor leads unhooked and the 36V plug off, with the case powered up, the heat sinks are getting hot! And this is on 2 different units! (swapped out)

I got a lot of manuals with the machine, but I don't find any wiring schem, but what I can check seems OK, and if I leave the 36V plug off the amp, the machine will power up and home. The 24VDC supply is right on, but I don't even see any 24V plug to this anyhow? And the 36V plug seems to be AC (18 + 18)

I have the original amp in the machine now and getting the same results, but no TG alarms.

Again - I don't even have the motor leads hooked up at this time, and the heat sink gets smokin' hot even without the unit being enabled with the 36V.

What in the world?

OK, well maybe the 36V does need hooked up.
???

------------------------

Gone and Done it!
Ox

Attachments

• DSCN2745.jpg
    DSCN2745.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Sounds like the perfect time to buy yourself a Brother!

Brother makes lathes now?

What drive series? I have a 6044 here that I have been nursing and has now gone officially tits up. From doing my research, I dont think you can swap top boards.

All the top boards have the same number on them.

There seems to be at least as many top boards listed on ebay as there is full units.
I take it that the top board is the weak point.

???

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I take it that the top board is the weak point.

I can say from experience the top board on Mitsubishi drives (Mazak) is the weak point!

Although I have had to replace an IGBT or two on the "base" of the drives....

ToolCat Greg

Back