What's new
What's new

Fanuc alarm 606 axis cooling fan fault

ARB

Titanium
Well. The Bridgeport XR1000 sat for a short spell and now I'm getting a 606 alarm Axis cooling fan fault. I did a little googling and it seams that it should be one on the fans that sits up on top of the drives (Fanuc 18i with the Alpha i drives). I ordered a couple with my fingers crossed that that is the problem. All three of the fans work but from what I read one could be low on speed and causing the problem.

As a pre-empive strike I thought I would ask the gallery if anyone else ran into this and what they found.

If I was to look in the ladder for a clue. Where and how do I look? I can get to the ladder and see but it may as well be written in arabic

I've seen false alarms on those fans before. Usually cycling power will clear it. I don't know the root cause.

Yep, back around 2002 or so Fanuc got a big batch of bad fans from some supplier so they had to replace them on warranty. There is a little Hall sensor built into the motor that sends a pulse with each rotation. The drive looks at those pulses and if they are not there it throws the alarm.

Won't show in the ladder but may be visible in one of the servo screens on System page.

It's a bit of an odd deal. Originally the alarm showed for 4 axis. After cycling power a couple times I was down to two axis. I played musical fans hoping that would tell a tale. That did nothing.

I will play start and stop a few times in the AM..

Thanks for the info guys.

I had the same alarm the other day on X and Y axis, cycled the power and all was fine. I to would like to know the root problem.
The 2006 Hardinge xp3 1000 with Fanuc 18i-MB sat for afew weeks when the axis cooling fan alarms showed up.

Fixed it!!!!! :cheers:

Turns out on the back of the X drive there is another fan that is actually outside the control cabinet. The heat sink on the back of each drive sticks through the back side of the control cabinet and in to open air inside the machine enclosure. The ity bitty fan was gunked up with spooge. I cleaned it and away it goes.

Thanks to the dood at Morris for the tip on the extra fan hiding in the back!!

Back in action.

FWIW - I've found new fans to be cheapest through Fanuc, if you can even find them anywhere else. They were not bad.

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Fixed it!!!!! :cheers:

Turns out on the back of the X drive there is another fan that is actually outside the control cabinet. The heat sink on the back of each drive sticks through the back side of the control cabinet and in to open air inside the machine enclosure. The ity bitty fan was gunked up with spooge. I cleaned it and away it goes.

Thanks to the dood at Morris for the tip on the extra fan hiding in the back!!

Back in action.

Thank you for this!
Same deal on my 05 Bridgeport XP3

Back