What's new
What's new

Fanuc apc 307 alarm battery replacement

poxino

Aluminum
Hello there

I am getting 307 apc alarm on my Fanuc 16im control.

The apc alarm is for both x and y axis.

Since my machine has pallet changer as well, I had a pallet axis servo alarm , which according with the technician who was here last time , if the palett servo axis servo alarm shows again , means I need to replace the battery related to that servo as well.

Could someone help me please?

uh, That alarm means the batteries for the absolute pulse coders (APC) are going dead. If they die, you will have to re-home out x and y. Given that it is just x and y, not z, and both are affected, you probably have a double axis drive that powers both x and y.

The battery will probably look similar to this: Fanuc BR-2/3AGCT4A Battery for PLC Logic Controls

AFAIK a dying battery on the drive shouldn't be causing a servo alarm??? I mean, there's nothing wrong with replacing it, but I don't think that's the issue there. Is the servo motor for the pallet changer a Fanuc servo?

Replace the battery with the power ON btw.

uh, That alarm means the batteries for the absolute pulse coders (APC) are going dead. If they die, you will have to re-home out x and y. Given that it is just x and y, not z, and both are affected, you probably have a double axis drive that powers both x and y.

The battery will probably look similar to this: Fanuc BR-2/3AGCT4A Battery for PLC Logic Controls

AFAIK a dying battery on the drive shouldn't be causing a servo alarm??? I mean, there's nothing wrong with replacing it, but I don't think that's the issue there. Is the servo motor for the pallet changer a Fanuc servo?

Replace the battery with the power ON btw.

I am going to look at those batteries you sent the link, is it a difficult procedure?

Yes below the pallet changer there is a red capped fanuc motor.

What do you think the reason would be then?

Many thanks

Look in your manual for the correct battery. My APC battery is on the back of the LCD display, and it doesn't look like a regular battery at all. It's a little rectangular black plastic cartridge that snaps into a slot. Inside the cartridge is a regular 3V lithium BR2/3.

Amazon.com: Fanuc A98L-0031-0028, A02B-0323-K102 Single Cell 3V in Cartridge battery replacement: Camera & Photo

Changing it is easy, just be sure the power is on as mentioned prev.

Many thanks!

I love this forum!

I will check and let you know

You will also have a battery for parameters. This one is usually a BR2/3 with a wire and a little brown plug. It is located inside the enclosure.

Amazon.com : CR17450SE-R 2200mAh 3V SANYO Battery Fr GE FANUC CNC A98L-0031-0012 PLC Battery : Everything Else

Some machines have batteries in an optional box from Fanuc that uses 4 x D Cells. If you have that, the D cells should be changed every year.

It's usually accessible from the side of the machine. looks like this:

FANUC Battery Case A98L-0004-0149, Holds 4 "D" Cell Batteries – Eisen Machinery Inc

If your APC battery is dying, I would replace the parameter battery at the same time just to be safe. It's also a good time to backup your parameters if you don't have a current copy.

Edit to add: Just to correct- the 4 D cells are APC batteries, the 3V cartridge in the control is parameter backup. The 6V pack shown earlier would be APC backup on machines with no D cell batteries.... I think...:o

I should quit while I'm behind.

The battery I linked in post #4 is parameters, not APC.

For the APC battery alarm, first check to see if you have the 4 D Cells battery box. If it's there, just put in new alkaline D cells. It looks like this:

APC battery cover.jpg

Do not remove the cover with the power off!

This is a once a year exercise, so write down the date and change them out same time next year. If you don't have the D cells, look for one of those 6V battery packs mentioned in post #2.

Then locate the parameter battery, and change that out for good measure.

For the APC battery alarm, first check to see if you have the 4 D Cells battery box. If it's there, just put in new alkaline D cells. It looks like this:

View attachment 271923

This is a once a year exercise, so write down the date and change them out same time next year. If you don't have the D cells, look for one of those 6V battery packs mentioned in post #2.

I could be wrong but I believe I have a battery box like the one you mentioned on this post

I could be wrong but I believe I have a battery box like the one you mentioned on this post
You probably do. They are very common on machines with absolute encoders.

4 new alkalines and you're good to go. :)

My new lathe has one of those 4D cell thing, although nice vs the br-ccf2th and such. I find it so stupid they put the D cells on their side facing the front cover so they lose contact when you open it. They could have just put them all vertical like any normal battery holder.

Anyway, once you find where all those batteries are hidden and their types, get some extras, and make a sheet with a column for each battery, tape it to the back of the machine and track when you change them, ideally every year or whatever, some like the parameter battery can be good 5-10years they say.

If you don't have that 4 D cell holder I would recommend buying it. I switched my mills over years back and simply replace the D batteries every year at Xmas.

Much cheaper and better in the long run .

You probably do. They are very common on machines with absolute encoders.

4 new alkalines and you're good to go. :)

Hello guys,

many thanks to you all for the replies, so useful to be a member of this forum.

I actually noticed some battery cells , which seems like they changed in 2014 : :( , I am going to take a picture of the electrical cabinet, as I ma not sure which battery I need to change.

Is the battery of the control another separate battery is it?How would I change it?

Many thanks!

View attachment 271923

this battery box is actually in my old Robodrill

this battery box is actually in my old Robodrill

20191208_184833.jpg20191208_184828.jpg

here 2 pictures , there is 1 box mentioned APC , would it be related to the automatic pallet changer?

I am not sure what I am talking about , be patient! :D

Many thanks!

...Is the battery of the control another separate battery is it?How would I change it?
Usually there are only the two to worry about. The parameters, programs, settings, offsets are backed up by a 3V lithium BR2/3. This is inside the control cabinet, or the back of the display unit. Here it is on my Sharp mill, inside the enclosure:

parameter battery.jpg

You should change that, but it's not the one causing your alarm.

The APC battery is the one you are looking for. If you don't have the 4 D cell case, the APC battery may be one of those multi-lithium packs like posted in post #2. I think there is a third possibility of a battery for each encoder, but I don't have any experience with that setup.

What kind of machine is this? Do you have the manuals? The battery change procedure is in the Fanuc Operator manual.

I'm not sure about the yellow one, but the other 2 are probably the BR-2/3AGCT4A batteries. Other could be too, but there's a few types anyway. If you lift the little holder/cover a bit it'll lift off, without pulling or unplugging the wire, turn it a bit and you can see/read what the battery is. I do this with power on.
Online places sell batteries, but Fanuc also has good competitive prices on their as well usually. Whatever gets it to you the quickest...

I don't know why there isn't a label on every electrical cabinet on these cnc's that lists all the batteries/part#, where they're hidden, and when to change them, seem most manuals don't even say it either, and the fanuc manual is about as useful as Epstein's prison guards.

I'm thinking the yellow battery pack on the side of the servo amplifier is the APC battery.

Terminology can be a bit messy here. APC can denote Absolute Pulse Coder and also Automatic Pallet Changer. In the OP's case, I am sure all these batteries are APC batteries for the pulse coders.

......I don't know why there isn't a label on every electrical cabinet on these cnc's that lists all the batteries/part#, where they're hidden, and when to change them, seem most manuals don't even say it either, and the fanuc manual is about as useful as Epstein's prison guards.

That would be up to the machine builder to provide a label or instructions. Fanuc manuals really can't give explicit instructions since Fanuc offer a few different backup battery options/configurations and the machine builder could even opt to install their own backup battery system.

Back