What's new
What's new

Fanuc coolant air/mist ladder help

alienturtle

Aluminum
Hey guys. Iv been trying to learn as i go with my makino rmc55. It has fanuc o mate mf controls and a model L pmc

So the previous owner of this machine added a 24v air solenoid and ran a hose for an air mist setup. This solenoid cycled with the coolant on off button on the console. When i checked power to my coolant pump wires it was dead. Inside the cabinet they un hooked the wire feeding the contactor for the coolant pump and wired in this air solenoid.

So technically i can fix my coolant pump issue no problem. After more digging i noticed an air mist button on the console as well as a place holder for a relay marked mist. I busted out my manual and found the coil side is triggered with the 190 wire which translated to y48. 6 output. I was able to turn param 60 bit 2 on to show the ladder. Did a search for y48. 6 and it showed up in a few places. I also noticed an f296.2 would cycle when i pushed the air mist botton. What i dont understand is how the button f296.2 is getting to trigger y48. 6? Does y48. 6 need to be on the right side of the ladder with a circle under it to work? The mist shows up as an option in my manuals and wire diagrams. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• IMG_20190218_100329.jpg
    IMG_20190218_100329.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 618
In the ladder,W search Y48.6 That will show you what is needed to turn it on.When the Y bit is at the far right of the rung that's an output. The push button is likely an X bit. Watch the PMC status page while toggling the button and you will find what X bit it is. F296.2 is likely an flag.

The circle symbol with a Y address on the right side of a ladder rung indicates a physical output of the rung.

I don't have any address info for an 0 series control so can't comment of the function of F296.2 other than all F addresses are input signals from the CNC to the PMC.

The activation state of logic rungs for machine features that are builder options are almost always controlled by KeepRelay (Diagnostic) parameters in the control. These are K addresses in the ladder.

In the ladder,W search Y48.6 That will show you what is needed to turn it on.When the Y bit is at the far right of the rung that's an output. The push button is likely an X bit. Watch the PMC status page while toggling the button and you will find what X bit it is. F296.2 is likely an flag.

Ill do the w search and see what i find. I have only been using the search button because i didnt know what the other did.

What do you mean by watch the pmc status?

To my understanding the x bits are inputs from hard switchs buttons ect? Are the buttons on the console also assigned an x bit? Here is the button. I tried to use the coolant on off button in the ladder as an example to see how it worked. It also was an f29 something button input. Im trying to learn so forgive me and thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20190218_095641.jpg
    IMG_20190218_095641.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 144
In the section that you selected the ladder, another softkey is status, that will show you a grid of conditions. Search X0 and the page will fill with the first several X bits, page down thru all of them while pressing the key in question and you should find one that changes when the key is pressed. X bits are actual contact closures.

This control is older 1989? I dont see a softkey labeled status. Maybe i am in the wrong spot? Softkeys are the ones below the screen right. I have top. bottom. search. N search. W search. And i think f search. I get into the ladder by hitting the param diag button. Hit it once for param. Again for diag. Then again launches the ladder

Breakdown of ladder addresses.....

X addresses = physical inputs machine to the PMC (switches, sensors, etc.)
Y addresses = physical outputs to the machine (relays, indicators, etc.)
F addresses = logical inputs from the CNC to the PMC (control status, M, S, T, codes, etc.)
G addresses = logical outputs from the PMC to the CNC (operation mode, M,S,T finish status)
R addresses = internal registers for the PMC (volatile scratchpad)
A addresses = alarm registers (can drive alarm messages to the display)
T addresses = timers (can be fixed or adjustable)
K addresses = Keep Relay (Fanuc speak for a bit register that is maintained at power off)
C addresses = Counters (maintained at power off)
D addresses = Data Table (can be maintained or volatile)

So do i go through the diag menu pushing the air mist button looking for something to turn. Or am i looking for a k in the ladder that needs to be turned on to enable the option?

So i found some new info. I did y48. 6 and hit w search softkey. It said adress bit nothing.

I went through the diag screen (was able to turn on lables which helps) and found x020 bit 2 (3rd from the right) went to 1 when i pushed the air mist button. It is in connector m1 pin 16.

Did a search in the ladder for x20. 2 and nothing address bit nothing

Basically am i out of luck?

Attachments

• IMG_20190218_182929.jpg
    IMG_20190218_182929.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 295
If Y48.6 is the output that is supposed to turn on a relay for the air solenoid, but it does not exist as a coil (circle symbol) on a ladder rung then you are out of luck. I'm finding a bit hard to imagine why they would use other instances of Y48.6 in the ladder for logic purpose and omit a rung to actuate it.

Thats what i was afraid of :(. There is no y48. 6 coil.

When i type in y48.6 and hit search it brings me to one instance (shown in the pic in the first post) then i type y48.6 again and hit search again. It brings me to another instance farther down. Unless im searching wrong and its skipping it? There are 277 lines according to the top of the screen if i hit bottom softkey

Using the coolant pump for example there is a y48.2 coil on the rung and i can watch it trigger.

So only way to do it is burn read and write eproms?

Yes, you would need new EPROMs. There are a couple different methods for creating/editing Fanuc ladders for an 0 series control. They have a proprietary device called a System P-G and there is some PC based software. The P-G has the EPROM burner as one of its functions. The PC based tool needs a burner. I don't know anything further than that. It might be worth a call to Makino to see what they would charge for the option if they can still provide it.

I believe i have a way of reading the eproms. i know there is more to it than that. being split between 2 eproms is one thing

Do you happen to know if i pull the 2 eo1 and eo2 chips off the board will i loose any parameters memory ect??

Thanks

Hey guys. I am reading and editing the ladder now. Would anyone have any helpful info on adding a line for the y bit coil? Thanks for the help

You have to test the switch or M-code that turns it on , latch the coil on with provisions to unlatch, and include condition checks for things you want to have on before the air blast or things that may be on that you do not want the air blast able to be turned on.

Iv been looking over this ladder for the last 4hrs and woo

I have quite a bit figured out. I used the coolant pump on off to fallow the ladder and see whats going on. Moving onto the air mist there is a lot of ladder already programmed in but no final y48. 6 output coil programmed. Here is what i know. Im kind of stuck

Starting at the top left i know that r504.1 is the m07 coolant on mist. If you fallow it down it goes to a sub 4 dec box with f150 and basically m7 code

The 504.1 also goes to a part in the ladder tbat basically checks to make sure it turn on and ends up at a g120.3 coil which i understand is the finish signal

The 504.3 is the m9 coolant off code.

E stop button then overload x000.0

That f296.2 is the actual button on the console.

Im just confused where the hell i need to put the final y48.6 coil

Am i making any sense lol

Attachments

• IMG_20190228_103641.jpg
    IMG_20190228_103641.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 164
What is R612.6? If it were me though, I'd study more of the ladder and flow chart the associated rungs before making a decision on what the new rung will be comprised of.

Im sorry i mist a rung below it. The r612.5 and 612.6 and 612.7 are all right on the screen. Not found anywhere else in the ladder. I think it has something to do with latching the button on and off with 1 button but i just cant picture it in my head.

Attachments

• IMG_20190301_080434.jpg
    IMG_20190301_080434.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 142

Back