Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Exactly! If I buy another machine I don't think it is going to be entry-level.

So it'll only cost me $32 to get a replacement power supply off Amazon from the OE supplier, however they do only rate these at 150mV Vpp for ripple. They also caution to not use more than 220V on the input! I may just do it to see what's what. Get it? Like "Watts Watt?" Eeeehhh, nevermind.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    ......however they do only rate these at 150mV Vpp for ripple. ......
    I would bet that the DC-DC converter in the CNC has some filtering/power conditioning going on. Even for the 24VDC out at CP2 for I/O use.

Here are the performance specs from Fanuc for the power supply....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0i-b-power-supply-requirements.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Are they saying as long as the ripple voltage is within that 4.8V range you're fine? LOL

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Certainly worth trying. Unplug the power to the CRT and CNC before you power it up with the cap installed. Measure the DC voltage with the cap in place and make sure that filtering the ripple does not raise the voltage much.
    Well I must have miscalculated because I get low noise (basically the noise from the line only) but only 0.6V out the back side of my shunt. Back to the drawing board...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    Are they saying as long as the ripple voltage is within that 4.8V range you're fine? LOL
    That's how I read it. That is why in an earlier post I said there must be some "conditioning" happening in the DC-DC module inside the CNC. I can imagine the CNC reliably using the 24V with that much ripple and noise.

I'm pretty sure that Fanuc must have eliminated their own power supply and allowed users to spec a third party supply as a cost cutting measure. Something to let builders still say they are using a Fanuc control while being able to hit a price point. Subbing a $35 generic supply for a $500 proprietary supply.....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Alright I swapped the new AC/DC 24V switching power supply (GS1) in, and while the output does look quite a bit cleaner, it doesn't fix the monitor issue. I'm packing up the whole lot of parts and shipping them down to Radwell for testing and repair.

If there isn't something wrong on the main board or CPU board, then I am at a loss. I suppose while I'm at it I will send the LCD monitor in as well just in case it is something with that.

I'm seriously considering cutting my losses and selling the machine.

Thanks again for the help, everyone.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So to make another joke at FANUC's expense, the regional aftermarket support manager just stopped by since he saw I opened an account but they didn't have record of an installation, and he likes to stop by new customers. Like everything FANUC, behind the times because I sure could have used the information I got from him last Thursday! LOL

Anyways, super cool of him to take the time and I found out they have a test/wash service that they offer for a few hundred bucks I could have used in this case to find the culprit quickly without the need to throw parts at the problem. He also said he's pretty confident it is the CPU card based on what he has seen in the past (when I told him I could get four screens at once on the CRT he said "Oh, CPU.") but it might be the main board.

Radwell has my stuff so we'll see what they come back with but I am going to follow up this afternoon to let them know I'll pay the expedite fee for sure.