What's new
What's new

Fanuc CRT turns all static, then with a tap its normal again

solidworkscadman

Hot Rolled
What may be the cause for a crt monitor to go all static then with a light tap go back to normal.

Bad ground?

I took the CRT out cleaned the connector but no dice.

What machine/Control is it?
We have a vintage Mori with a 15tt control. Twice we've had a similar problem.
Both times it turned out to be the screen psu. (Situated right behind the screen itself).
Got it fixed at a local electronic repair shop.

Broken solder joint on the CRT circuit board. Look carefully at all the joints, particularly around the flyback transformer, that's where I've seen them the most. Older Fanuc CRT's are pretty basic. A good TV tech ( do any of those still exist?)can often find the problem quickly

Yeah bad solder joints are the most common. I've fixed a few that way. I did have a bad graphics/IO type board one time, but I think that was a yasnac

What do you mean by static? I don't think it would have a tuner to pick up noise. Is it like interference in the video? Maybe a dirty potentiometer for focus or screen voltage or similar?

While bad solder joints around the flyback area are a relatively common problem, it would not cause static-and static is not a normal thing you would encounter with a monitor. What does this "static" exactly look like? Maybe you are loosing sync. A picture would help. I would look to a bad connection in the video amp circuits first. Poke around with a plastic tool after a good visual inspection.

Back