Fanuc Feed Hold and Spindle Stop
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Fanuc Feed Hold and Spindle Stop

    Hi everyone, new to the forum and I have a question regarding my machine. I have a FANUC Oi-TF controller on a 2 axis lathe. When I hit feed hold, it stops the feed however the spindle continues to turn. When I hit the spindle stop key that does nothing. What parameter needs changed over so I can stop the spindle during feed hold?
    Thank you.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,340
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    750
    Likes (Received)
    562

    Default

    It doesn't.

    Feed hold is just that, you're temporarily pausing the feed during a cycle. The spindle will run because there's an M3/M4 in the buffer. Spindle control keys only work in manual/jog mode.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    839
    Likes (Received)
    448

    Default

    Often times on a Fanuc control holding (not tapping) RESET will stop the spindle. Good luck!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    3,903
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    12737
    Likes (Received)
    4627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DouglasJRizzo View Post
    It doesn't.

    Feed hold is just that, you're temporarily pausing the feed during a cycle. The spindle will run because there's an M3/M4 in the buffer. Spindle control keys only work in manual/jog mode.
    Is this a FANUC thing? Because my Mits definitely let me stop/start the spindle while in feed hold during auto cycle.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    85
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    32
    Likes (Received)
    36

    Default

    On mine if you turn the selector switch to manual the spindle will stop.
    Then when you turn it back to auto the spindle will restart when you hit the green button.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    Is this a FANUC thing? Because my Mits definitely let me stop/start the spindle while in feed hold during auto cycle.
    I’ve ran older Fanucs and you most certainly could hit feed hold, then turn the spindle off. So no it’s not.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Posts
    5,468
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    989
    Likes (Received)
    3053

    Default

    All the various behaviors described above are not control builder specific, but a result of how the machine builder chose to integrate the control to their machine via the machine builder's ladder program.

    @OP, there is no parameter that will do what you want unless the machine builder implemented that into their ladder program. The majority of machines will stop the spindle after feed hold is pressed if you switch the mode select switch to a manual mode (jog, rapid, increment) and then press spindle stop. Again, depending on the machine builder's integration you may have to press spindle start before switching back to memory or auto mode and pressing cycle start. Some machines may restart the spindle when switching back to memory or auto mode.

  8. Likes LockNut, GWIZ liked this post
  9. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    All the various behaviors described above are not control builder specific, but a result of how the machine builder chose to integrate the control to their machine via the machine builder's ladder program.

    @OP, there is no parameter that will do what you want unless the machine builder implemented that into their ladder program. The majority of machines will stop the spindle after feed hold is pressed if you switch the mode select switch to a manual mode (jog, rapid, increment) and then press spindle stop. Again, depending on the machine builder's integration you may have to press spindle start before switching back to memory or auto mode and pressing cycle start. Some machines may restart the spindle when switching back to memory or auto mode.
    Ok so on my machine, I hit feed hold then cycle to a manual mode. Spindle stops. I hit spindle start again but then when I cycle back to auto mode the spindle shuts off and I can’t resume. Is there a means to keep it turning when switching between modes or is that determined by the machine builder also?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Posts
    5,468
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    989
    Likes (Received)
    3053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdlinger View Post
    Often times on a Fanuc control holding (not tapping) RESET will stop the spindle. Good luck!
    This method has high risk. Pressing reset on a Fanuc control in the memory or auto mode erases the moves in the buffer, resets many ladder conditions (that's why the spindle stops), can cancel tool offsets, and resets the G-codes to their default condition, but MAY NOT reset the program to the beginning. If Cycle Start is pressed without resetting to the beginning of the program or searching a safe start line, a crash is the likely result.

  11. Likes mcash7709, 706jim, Nerdlinger liked this post
  12. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Posts
    5,468
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    989
    Likes (Received)
    3053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mcash7709 View Post
    Ok so on my machine, I hit feed hold then cycle to a manual mode. Spindle stops. I hit spindle start again but then when I cycle back to auto mode the spindle shuts off and I can’t resume. Is there a means to keep it turning when switching between modes or is that determined by the machine builder also?

    The spindle stopping when switching back to auto is not typical. Could be an error in the ladder program or a PMC parameter (machine builder ladder parameter) that would affect that behavior. There may be a Fanuc parameter that could affect that too. If I get some time today to wander through a Fanuc manual I'll have a look.
    Last edited by Vancbiker; 11-18-2020 at 11:48 AM. Reason: fix typo

  13. Likes mcash7709 liked this post
  14. #11
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,609
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    805
    Likes (Received)
    979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mcash7709 View Post
    Ok so on my machine, I hit feed hold then cycle to a manual mode. Spindle stops. I hit spindle start again but then when I cycle back to auto mode the spindle shuts off and I can’t resume. Is there a means to keep it turning when switching between modes or is that determined by the machine builder also?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any difference when trying this is JOG vs MPG/HANDLE modes?

  15. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hardplates View Post
    Any difference when trying this is JOG vs MPG/HANDLE modes?
    If you mean going from Jog or Handwheel back to Memory mode, no, it will shut it off still regardless of which one I switch from.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Posts
    5,468
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    989
    Likes (Received)
    3053

    Default

    Did not find anything in Fanuc parameters that would affect switching from manual mode back to auto mode. Looking through the ladder logic will be needed to figure out why it behaves this way. You could contact your machine builder and see if they can help. Often when bugs in a ladder are discovered and fixed, they are only implemented on new builds and are not rolled out to existing machines unless a user has complaints.

  17. Likes mcash7709 liked this post
  18. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    64
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    59
    Likes (Received)
    11

    Default

    Contact the machine tool builder.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  19. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,340
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    750
    Likes (Received)
    562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mcash7709 View Post
    I’ve ran older Fanucs and you most certainly could hit feed hold, then turn the spindle off. So no it’s not.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Turning the spindle off in manual mode is one thing. Having that "synched" with the feed hold button is something entirely different.

  20. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Posts
    5,468
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    989
    Likes (Received)
    3053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DouglasJRizzo View Post
    Turning the spindle off in manual mode is one thing. Having that "synched" with the feed hold button is something entirely different.
    In what way would it be different? Feed Hold state is sent to the PMC at signal F0 bit 4. It would not be difficult for the machine builder to incorporate a reference to that signal in the spindle run logic. It could not be a direct reference to that signal though. Threading and tapping would have to be taken into consideration so that the spindle would stop only on completion of the current thread pass or the completed retraction of a tap.

    Though it would be easy to do, stopping the spindle every time Feed Hold was pressed would be an extremely annoying behavior. I'm sure that's why I've never seen it done. I can see that a related action for spindle stopping could be convenient. Something like pressing Feed Hold twice within a short, specific, time period causing the spindle to stop seems like it could be handy.

    The OP's declared inability to keep the spindle running after Feed Hold and then manually turning off the spindle, restarting it, and switching back to auto mode is also an annoying behavior that to me indicates that the machine builder's ladder is not well developed/tested.

  21. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,340
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    750
    Likes (Received)
    562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    The OP's declared inability to keep the spindle running after Feed Hold and then manually turning off the spindle, restarting it, and switching back to auto mode is also an annoying behavior that to me indicates that the machine builder's ladder is not well developed/tested.
    Exactly - it would be annoying and, yet one more parameter in a sea of 40k parameters already in the average Fanuc 0. Yeah, the ladder may not be well thought out - I had a Taiwanese CNC that was just awful in that department, but feed hold with spindle stop together spells alot of broken taps/tools/threads to me. And, having worked for an MTB, lots and lots of hours on the phone.

  22. #18
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,609
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    805
    Likes (Received)
    979

    Default

    I would tend to think simultaneously stopping the spindle and feed while in a heavy cut would spell the end for those inserts/endmill.

  23. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,340
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    750
    Likes (Received)
    562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hardplates View Post
    I would tend to think simultaneously stopping the spindle and feed while in a heavy cut would spell the end for those inserts/endmill.
    Exactly. And more angry phone calls from a customer to the applications department on how to disable it.

  24. #20
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,609
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    805
    Likes (Received)
    979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DouglasJRizzo View Post
    Exactly. And more angry phone calls from a customer to the applications department on how to disable it.
    I guess that's why it's called feed hold and not e-stop

  25. Likes DouglasJRizzo liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •