What's new
What's new

Fanuc Lathe Offset Question

cunaf85

Plastic
I have always swept in drills with a co-axial indicator and set the X geometry when I got it zeroed in.That would typically result in value like -16.5 in the corresponding X Geometry Offset field.

Current machine has a half dozen identical drill stations always on the turret.
These are all set up where the X Geometry field has a value of 0. I've never swept a drill on this machine and it seems to work OK.

How did they set that up? It would have saved me so many headaches in years passed when somebody wiped out a X geometry value and had not bothered to record it during set up, resulting in me having to sweep the tool back in.

If the drills are a little off center how do you adjust them while keeping that geometry and wear value set at zero? I'm going to guess it is somewhere in the parameters.

We are kind of in the dark when you don't mention the type of machine. The ones that are on zero are probably on a grid shift parameter properly set for that tool location. Also what do you mean by drill station?

Maybe the G54 (if there is one) has been adjusted so that the drills all read zero when on the spindle centerline.

Many machines use 0 for X geometry for drills. I am not sure why you are surprised. From the machines I have used, Daewoo/Doosan, Hitachi Seiki, and Index use 0. Mori Seiki and Haas use what you describe.
There is no industry standard. Machine tool builders do things differently from each other.

If the drills are a little off center how do you adjust them while keeping that geometry and wear value set at zero? I'm going to guess it is somewhere in the parameters.
One way I have seen it done is by putting a value by the amount that the drill is off center on the EXT X Offset. The one that says 00 while g54-g59 are 01-06.

Many machines use 0 for X geometry for drills. I am not sure why you are surprised. From the machines I have used, Daewoo/Doosan, Hitachi Seiki, and Index use 0. Mori Seiki and Haas use what you describe.
There is no industry standard. Machine tool builders do things differently from each other.

Both machines are Doosan. Old machine had a turret that had 24 index positions and it wasn't uncommon to use ever triple drill tool holder I could scrounge up during setup. New machine only has single holders. Maybe that is why. The machines that had the really wild numbers came from a different builder that still used Fanuc. I'm thinking inputting O in the X geometry field would have lined the center of the turret up with the center of the spindle.

No values in the EXT or in G54-G59 in X. Only reason I can think of to do that is if you wanted to tie a bunch of features together that where made with radial live tools.

Thanks for the replies.

Many tool builders, Doosan one of them, have "X0" set to the machine's centerline and the turret/tool holders qualified this way. So "X0" truly is "0." You can tweak it slightly in the geometry offsets for that station if you need to.

Back