What's new
What's new

Fanuc OI-MD A02B-0319-B502 How to add SRAM memory

Daniel_CNC

Plastic
I have Fanuc OI-MD A02B-0319-B502.
Problem is that there is only 512 KB RAM for programs !!
This milling machine is from 2012 year and there is still only 512KB
of SRAM which requires battery to prevent data loss after switching off the machine ??
That must be kidding..... We have 21-st century. wasn't there FLASH memory in 2012
to store important system configuration data ........?
Anyway I wish to add more memory into this machine.
Untill now I didn't disassemble this control unit totally because of that very important
backup battery on the cover. I have to make backup of configuration data first.
I was searching for extra memory module or Memory IC for this Fanuc OI-MD A02B-0319-B502
but I didn't found any for sale, so I have one question for more experienced electronics engineers wchich allready disassembled this control Unit.
Where is place for additional RAM in it? Is there memory expansion slot
or extra RAM needs to be solder directly on the board ??
I'm seeing there free places for additional IC's in BGA case on the board (see photo 2)

To be continued................

Attachments

• Fanuc1sm.jpg
    Fanuc1sm.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Fanuc2sm.jpg
    Fanuc2sm.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 66
I don't know what your experience level is, but you realize Program files are simply Text files. Meaning they don't take up very much memory. You can do a hell of a lot of machining with a 512kb text file. Unless you're doing heavy duty 5 axis surface stuff you have nothing to worry about. There is also Drip Feed should the need arise. Granted Fanuc has always been short on memory capacity, and they will sell you more if you want it.

What you do have though is reliability.

The memory limitations, reasoning,and workarounds for Fanuc controls has been discussed Ad nauseam.

If you cannot successfully search for these conversations here, then I wouldnt hold much hope of success on circumventing Fanucs "DRM" on paid options.

I think 512 is already max NC mem on 0iD?

Back