What's new
What's new

Fanuc OM-C, possible to have position output over RS232?

benkokes

Plastic
I am interested in getting the current machine position over the RS232 port on a Fanuc O-M machine ( Kiwa colt 510, yr 1996). Are there any settings I can change to make that happen?
Basically I have a simple DRO running on my PC, capturing the outputs. It would be convenient for me to have a secondary display in a place that I can see when I am work-zeroing the machine.

Thanks for any pointers,
-Ben

I am interested in getting the current machine position over the RS232 port on a Fanuc O-M machine ( Kiwa colt 510, yr 1996). Are there any settings I can change to make that happen?
Basically I have a simple DRO running on my PC, capturing the outputs. It would be convenient for me to have a secondary display in a place that I can see when I am work-zeroing the machine.

Thanks for any pointers,
-Ben
Hello Ben,
If your machine is equipped with Macro B, then you could use the DPRNT Command to output a coordinate via RS232.

Regards,

Bill

If you are trying to get it to work like an actual DRO, with real-time numbers showing up on the screen, DPRNT won't work like that.

If you are trying to get it to work like an actual DRO, with real-time numbers showing up on the screen, DPRNT won't work like that.
No, steaming data won't be possible when an axis is in normal motion, only at EOB intervals and a software interface would be required to make use of the data output via DPRINT.

Regards,

Bill

Simplest solution is a USB camera aimed at the machines screen and then watch it on the computer screen or tablet, or whatever. If you are wired directly and not streaming over the web, the response is pretty good, you could get some lag time, but shouldn't be too bad. I have a USB set up for this as I work from a wheelchair and can't see the backside of parts a lot of the time, so I set the stand up, hook up to the pc and then watch what I'm doing on the backside of the part.

i bought a electronic level that connects to rs232 and you could use a laptop to record readings. trouble is it took like over 10 readings per seconds and it would write a hugh amount of data per day. i ended up asking somebody to write a program to allow changing sample rate to like 1 per second, 10 times per minutes, etc to lessen amount of data recorded. it being like video recording 24 hours per day whats on a tv channel.
just saying displaying data and recording data can be a big difference

Probably the easiest (only?) way to have a realtime additional display would be to have second screen mirroring the existing one.

I don't know if all Fanuc O series are the same, but on our O-TC the video output is signal compatible with VGA, just wired differently. Would be fairly trivial to make an adapter or rewire a vga splitter to allow connecting a second screen.

Thanks for all the responses. the DPRNT command sounds like a fun thing to use, and I never thought of the USB camera... But since I have some time and a spare monitor, I think I am going to splice into the video stream, buffer the signals and just duplicate it on a second monitor..

Thanks for the tips!

Back