What's new
What's new

Fanuc option install travel cost

GENERALDISARRAY

Hot Rolled
When getting an option turned on, Is it a waste of time to ask if they could do it when they will be in the area?

They'll still hit you with a travel charge.
You could wait til they're around, if they'll even tell you, but I think that you're gonna get clipped no matter what.

As far as turning on options, long gone are the days of flipping parameters. Modern Fanuc controls are like Okuma now, if you don't have the option, it's not there. It has to be installed.

Sometimes - they'll send a PC card with the option on it, and all you do is fire up the CNC and load it once.

This will probably vary a ton, but as a point of reference I can tell you Gosiger just charged us $429 to come out and install an option on two of our Okumas.

You could wait til they're around, if they'll even tell you, but I think that you're gonna get clipped no matter what.

As far as turning on options, long gone are the days of flipping parameters. Modern Fanuc controls are like Okuma now, if you don't have the option, it's not there. It has to be installed.

Sometimes - they'll send a PC card with the option on it, and all you do is fire up the CNC and load it once.

Are the options on daughter cards now? The most "modern" Fanuc I have is circa 2002.

It is a "no charge option" to add an additional axis to a 31iA5 Robo. Just parameter, locked inside some hex and stuff.

But, as I am told. Today Fanuc will ONLY allow themselves or the Importer to install an option that makes the machine "nuclear capable" not my words.

Methods punted. They told me $700 tops to KC for Fanuc. The quote came in at 1250. Just for travel costs. as it is a no charge option.

Just wondered if it was worth it to even ask. I am using my Haas indexer, I can wait.

It is a "no charge option" to add an additional axis to a 31iA5 Robo. Just parameter, locked inside some hex and stuff.

But, as I am told. Today Fanuc will ONLY allow themselves or the Importer to install an option that makes the machine "nuclear capable" not my words.

Methods punted. They told me $700 tops to KC for Fanuc. The quote came in at 1250. Just for travel costs. as it is a no charge option.

Just wondered if it was worth it to even ask. I am using my Haas indexer, I can wait.

Sounds like a bunch of BS from Fanuc. I think if I heard "nuclear capable" I would have lost it.

Sounds like a bunch of BS from Fanuc. I think if I heard "nuclear capable" I would have lost it.

You can blame Toshiba for that one. They got busted in the 80's for selling 5X machines to Russia for making submarine propellers. Some geneious came up with the notion that nuclear weapons required 5X CNC machines and America would not allow that technology out of the country on US made machines.

I fought the DHS for more than half a year with Gene Haas and Barry Rodgers to get that stupid sanction lifted in 2013. Not sure why Fanuc would still be using the Nuke term unless they are just trying to milk all the money they can. That law is gone now.

You can blame Toshiba for that one. They got busted in the 80's for selling 5X machines to Russia for making submarine propellers. Some geneious came up with the notion that nuclear weapons required 5X CNC machines and America would not allow that technology out of the country on US made machines.

I fought the DHS for more than half a year with Gene Haas and Barry Rodgers to get that stupid sanction lifted in 2013. Not sure why Fanuc would still be using the Nuke term unless they are just trying to milk all the money they can. That law is gone now.

When I was doing small contract DOD work I made quite a few missile parts on my CNC Swiss, most all the stuff I was doing was off of prints that were decades old, some all the way back to WWII. The prints usually said what type device they went on, but no model numbers, I could possibly have a nuclear capable machine in my shop. No wonder the black helicopters fly over my house every once in a while.

Last place I worked we had a Jones & Shipman Dominator 4ax creep feed grinder with a 5th ax for dressing.
When I arranged with fanuc to come out and add "expanded" memory to 512kb (obscenely expensive), the amount of paperwork we had to do was insane.

-Are you making weapons
-Nuclear work
Are the two that I distinctly remember

When I was doing small contract DOD work I made quite a few missile parts on my CNC Swiss, most all the stuff I was doing was off of prints that were decades old, some all the way back to WWII. The prints usually said what type device they went on, but no model numbers, I could possibly have a nuclear capable machine in my shop. No wonder the black helicopters fly over my house every once in a while.

We are making parts/assemblies for NASA at the moment. I have no clue how we do it without any certs.... Maybe for us and our industry the "certs" are our lab inspection reports..?

Last place I worked we had a Jones & Shipman Dominator 4ax creep feed grinder with a 5th ax for dressing.
When I arranged with fanuc to come out and add "expanded" memory to 512kb (obscenely expensive), the amount of paperwork we had to do was insane.

-Are you making weapons
-Nuclear work
Are the two that I distinctly remember

LOL @ the expanded memory. I ran an old Matsurra that had 64kb memory. :(

How many people here are using independent techs? We switched to that when out of warranty at a place I worked in northern IN. That place was awesome! About 3x capable as the Haas "techs" they were sending.

We use one at current job too, don't know who he works for though, or name of company. He comes and does maintenance and coolant swaps (yes we pay someone to do that LoL, not my call...)

We are making parts/assemblies for NASA at the moment. I have no clue how we do it without any certs.... Maybe for us and our industry the "certs" are our lab inspection reports..?

I last did that work 10 years ago, it does seem more certs are required than used to be. I had a couple certs, I don't even remember what they were, it just required filing out a bunch of government paperwork, free of charge. Are you having your parts source inspected? That might lower some requirements.

I last did that work 10 years ago, it does seem more certs are required than used to be. I had a couple certs, I don't even remember what they were, it just required filing out a bunch of government paperwork, free of charge. Are you having your parts source inspected? That might lower some requirements.

No idea Dual. As far as I know we just do a lab report with ghz 'ratings' frequency, and insertion loss.... and I have no clue how any of that works... we just make the parts bigger or smaller based on lab tests. :)

Careful with all the post about aerospace and certs. as9100d may come back and school us on how we could make so much more money with cert and Xometry....Or maybe turn us in for non compliance.

No idea Dual. As far as I know we just do a lab report with ghz 'ratings' frequency, and insertion loss.... and I have no clue how any of that works... we just make the parts bigger or smaller based on lab tests. :)

Source inspected just means the government shows up at your shop before the part is shipped. I was going to post a page of an old contract I saved that showed all the packing requirement codes, but it said max file size of 19.5 KB. I think I need to delete some files in my attachment manager, but I can only see how to upload crap.

Careful with all the post about aerospace and certs. as9100d may come back and school us on how we could make so much more money with cert and Xometry....Or maybe turn us in for non compliance.

Not sure about now as I only did small contract DOD work and the last job was completed almost 10 years ago. On a lot of special set asides and a few certs they pretty much did not ask for proof. Pretty sure there are a few minority women owned businesses owned by 3rd generation white males. I worked for a guy in between machining jobs who ran two businesses selling motor control that shared everything. One of them he put in his wife's name to sell to the military and get contracts set aside for women owned businesses and the disabled. Her disability was mild arthritis. For the record the only I ever saw of her in a year and some change was a picture on the owner's desk.

Back