What's new
What's new

Fanuc OTC, Alarm 910, ram parity (low) beating head on floor...

viper

Titanium
VERY frustrated right now. Mori SL-15 has not given a lock of problem, then I fire it today after being dead for a few months. Getting the error above along with a list of codes on the screen. I KNOW the backup batteries are good and I test them once/mo and just did. Machine comes on, recognizes the "MFT-4", then says something about initializing slave drive and comes up with this alarm. No button will do anything.

All the stuff I am reading says this means the parameters are gone. Personally, I am thinking cabling at this point but not sure.

Here is a pic of the screen. I did a quick check on some test pins on the memory board. All voltages are present at the test pins on the memory board. Not sure if we could still have a PS issue or what. I will have to investigate further. I thought there was a red LED that lights when hot and it is not coming on.

Attachments

• SDC11056.jpg
    SDC11056.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 10,011
Last edited:
I've gotten that alarm a couple times. Usually I have to delete everything and reload the parameters. If that isn't the fix, most likely the memory board is toast.

Is there a faster way to load parameters than hand punching? ie, if I can find a file of them, can feed them in via 232?

What would make a machine go nuts like this and scramble things? Machine has not even had a power cord to it so lightning, etc is unlikely. I am still waiting for a response from a guy I know before I go with the reset/delete on power up and wipe the system. Never had to reload parameters before so this should be a GOOD time...

Update

Well, I went ahead and wiped the memory with reset/delete and turned on. That got rid of the 910 alarm. It now alarms with 100 P/S alarm and a couple axis alarms. I have been able to load a couple parameters, power down, and they stay put. Have no idea why this happened but it looks like I have a shot to get things back and going.

One thing I noticed is the control used to turn on and say "MFT-4", now it just says the serial number. Not sure if the parameter fixes will cure that or what. Also, I think I might be missing some parameters here. My NC parameters list starts at 1 but my diag list starts at 300.

It shouldn't be hard to re-load the parameters via Rs232.

If I recall procedure, after clearing everything out, (having first backed everything up!) enter your option parameters, then all parameters regarding Rs232 communication, and then you can send over your parameters/diagnostics etc.

I know, this sweet and simple explanation doesn't explain which parameters set up your Rs232 port. I don't have those at home.

I am pretty sure that someone on Practical Machinist will know more specifics. If not I can fax you something on Monday. I have the procedure in one of my Fanuc class's text manuals at the shop. It wouldn't take me more then a minute, so it's no biggy. It shows how to back up and reload properly.

As for what caused this? I don't know. Its happened to me a couple times, usually I get a 911 alarm, which means that I have to clear out the programs. (high bit parity) That usually happens because someone turns off the machine while in the middle of editing a program. But your 910 alarm is usually a bad sign that the memory board is shot. Sometimes reloading works, sometimes it doesn't.

The parameter fixes will cure it. If you look hard at a parameter manual you can make it say your name on power up.

Just enter everything you have and you should be good to go. Unless it shows up again. If it does, well, there is always eBay.

Update

Well, after entering some data manually, things are coming around. Offsets are back, some things are turning back on, the screen now says MFT-4, etc. I think the goal at this point is to get it back to where it was, and this time do a parameter dump to a disc so I can load again with the 232. It does not take too long I guess by hand but certainly would piss me off to do it several times and since the machine already went down once, I am sure it will do this again at some point.

Problems - my parameter list is for the same machine with same control but has a different serial number so I cannot be certain that all the numbers are right. I noted that after clearing the parameters, the 8000 were still there and were different than my sheets so I left them for now. There is also some data in the diag param and is different than my lists so I left those for now as well. I will need to get the right numbers as well as look close at options to see if there is anything I can turn on while I am at it. I think rigid tap and larger program memory was all I did before. Would be nice to have a work counter.

Looking for help with this one.... Never had to enter parameters before. Sure to screw something up....

As you enter parameters there will be others that change, I noticed this in the diagnostic parameters. I have mine all backed up, machine, diagnostic and option parameters, there are weird button combos to push to get them all to save and I can't remember which order they are right now. I've tried to load them via rs232 but by the time you figure out which parameters are for rs 232 you can hand type them in. As to what happened, I suspect you may have a bad battery, last set of batteries I had in my 0T-C were from 2008, just changed them this spring, suppose to be yearly according to the manual.
As an example, I have a Mag light, the big one that holds 6 d cell batteries, it'll be working fine and then all of a sudden it gets real dim. I pull all the batteries and check them with a meter and usually find 1 that has died or has .5 volts and it's usually just one. Actually, when I changed batteries in my 0T I also checked those. There are 7 total, 4 for the parameters and 3 for the absolute encoders???? Anyhow, they were all changed at the same time, there was a sticky note along with the batteries. The 3 battery set were as good as new, the other 4 were a bit low (1.25 volts) but 1 was lower than the rest (less than 1 volt). Dunno, it's weird.
Dave

Well, after entering some data manually, things are coming around. Offsets are back, some things are turning back on, the screen now says MFT-4, etc. I think the goal at this point is to get it back to where it was, and this time do a parameter dump to a disc so I can load again with the 232. It does not take too long I guess by hand but certainly would piss me off to do it several times and since the machine already went down once, I am sure it will do this again at some point.

Problems - my parameter list is for the same machine with same control but has a different serial number so I cannot be certain that all the numbers are right. I noted that after clearing the parameters, the 8000 were still there and were different than my sheets so I left them for now. There is also some data in the diag param and is different than my lists so I left those for now as well. I will need to get the right numbers as well as look close at options to see if there is anything I can turn on while I am at it. I think rigid tap and larger program memory was all I did before. Would be nice to have a work counter.

Looking for help with this one.... Never had to enter parameters before. Sure to screw something up....

Hi, i have Mori Seiki SL15 MFT-4 and got the same problem. But i don't have the Parameter and Diag Param sheets. Can you send the Parameter and Diag Param sheets to my email so i can repair the machine, please!

Thank you so much!

I've gotten that alarm a couple times. Usually I have to delete everything and reload the parameters. If that isn't the fix, most likely the memory board is toast.

Hello, can you help me, I present the same problem 910 Ram Parity low alarm, in a Fanuc control, when pressing RESET + DELETE starts the normal control, when loading the parameters 900, it reoccurs alarm 910 Ram parity low, it is a pain of head, if I withdraw the PMC start well only with the Not ready! I realized that I can load all the parameters but when entering the 905 steps of pmc the 910 Ram Parity low alarm goes off, and replace PMC, the voltages of the memory card are correct 5v, 24v, - 24v and the batteries are fine ,. On the motherboard when the 910 Ram Parity low alarm goes off, the red LED L4 lights up. Help I am about to change the memory card A16B-2201-010,

If your memory option parameters are for more memory than physically installed, you will get a Ram Parity alarm. Can you publish a photo of the top of the memory board, as well as a list of your parameters, starting at 900?

Back