What's new
What's new

Fanuc- P + Cancel trick on 0i control proceedure

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Soft over travel issue during homing. Usual cure is hold P and Can while booting up control. For 0i I presume it best to turn control on and within a second or two then press "shift" ...let go, press P....hold....press Can...hold ... yes ? :scratchchin:

I always hold down the keys and then power up. And I never used shift. Just hold down the p and the can key and power up. You may know, but some older machines need to be a good 2" from the switch when homing or youll generate the overtravel.

I always hold down the keys and then power up. And I never used shift. Just hold down the p and the can key and power up.
But you are literally holding down the "O" key if you don't shift first to change to "P"....and I'm thinking there is no way the control can recognize the shift took place unless it boots up a few seconds first. I had tried "O" plus "Can" earlier and it didn't seem to work....

Am I overthinking this ? ;)

Overthinking.

Hold down any button that has the P.
No shift required.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

You most probably have this by the balls by now.

I concur with OX, hold down and press any thing containing a "P" and Can.

I'd take you back 30+ years. That key could say J, Q, No, V or P

Press and hold any key that contains a "P" with "Can". It hasn't changed. Heritage party trick.
240989d1540684852-fanuc-0t-alarm-408-a-fanuc0tkeyboard.jpg

I should be a bit more Jihad on it. But nothing piss's me off more, than some guy with a thermal over load alarm. And some well intending cat, turns up and claims, did you try P-Can?

The only thing P-Can does, is turn off Soft overtravel checking. Its not model, so the next power cycle, it doesn't exist.

Regards Phil.

I can still recall when we went though this 12 years ago,

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...ow-does-home-actually-work-120097/#post478412

No disrespect to you. But this P + Can thing does my head in. I have customers, with operators that do it on every start up. No explanation as to why. It disrespects Software Over Travel limits. That's all.

Forums--- Blow up a drive and set fire to the barn? "Hey, have you tried P + Can". It shits me to death. Absolute axis with dead battery's. APC, APZ, : Axis needs zero errors. There's bound to be a P-Can warrior.

Regards Phil.

I can still recall when we went though this 12 years ago,

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...ow-does-home-actually-work-120097/#post478412

No disrespect to you. But this P + Can thing does my head in. I have customers, with operators that do it on every start up. No explanation as to why. It disrespects Software Over Travel limits. That's all.

Forums--- Blow up a drive and set fire to the barn? "Hey, have you tried P + Can". It shits me to death. Absolute axis with dead battery's. APC, APZ, : Axis needs zero errors. There's bound to be a P-Can warrior.

Regards Phil.

Maybe he's had too much P-CAN pie? They have lots of P-Cans down there in the Carolinas....

"P-Can" pie

Maybe he's had too much P-CAN pie? They have lots of P-Cans down there in the Carolinas....

"P-Can" pie
You slightly missed the point. Cats I was talking about could be from S.C, Tennessee or Timbuktu.It's the cure all that Can- P offers, that does me in. It does one thing and one thing only. It disables soft over travel. That's it.

P.S You should smarten the fuck up. Your talking about the bloke that started this place.

I have a machine that has needed P-cancel about once a month for probably 10 years. It is always on the x-axis when zero returning everything after turning the machine on. I always figure it was a symptom of something going to fail down the road, but so far so good.

Borderline stalking ....

Kind'a scary...
Good thing that he is 12 time zones away most of the time.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

FWIW, I have a machine with 18mc control that you have to press letter O+P+CAN on power up or it will invariably overtravel in Z when AUTO REF is punched on start up.

I thought this P+can shit was just on the older or pre i series Fanuc controls? On the Doosan Fanuc i series control panels the is a blue button underneath big red which is a emergency release or alarm reset that will getcha outta these messes.

Brent

used-doosan-puma-2600l-cnc-lathe-with-fixed-tools-1.jpg

Doosan must just have made it a little more routine so that you didn't need to know the secret handshake.

It would seem that most would, include something like that, but they must figger that Fanuc allows a back door that they don't haft'a ladder around themselves, so why worry about it?

But how many opperators really know the secret handshake?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Why worry about it? Exactly... How many operators probably know about the P-can? All the more reason to have a escape route. After all it's not like you just run the turret into the chuck and kicked out the servo alarm.

We have 5 Doosan mills and 2 Doosan lathes. On all if you go far enough to hit the limit switch the machine just stops, pukes an over travel alarm but there is no need to do anything but crank the hand wheel the other direction then hit the reset button to clear the alarm and all is good. The control does record the over travel in the alarm history.

In this day and age there is no need to have a work stoppage just because someone cranked wheel a little far one direction and doesn't know a secret code. I agree I'd think today most builders if not all would have and easy fix for something as minor as a axis over travel.

Brent

On my Star Se-16 born in the early 21st century with a Fanuc 21t if you don't hit P-cancel it will repeat the same over travel on zero return until it is done.

Back