What's new
What's new

Fanuc Power Mate E - Load/Save button for memory dilema

llf264

Cast Iron
Hi guys, as many of you know, on the face of a Fanuc powermate e drive, there is a switch and button selection that shows a load and a save option, and a little pushbutton to activate that cycle.

Question #1: Does "Load" mean Load memory from drive to card, or does "Load" mean load memory from card to drive?
Question #2: Does "Save" mean Load memory from card to drive, or does "Save" mean load memory from drive to card?
Those two questions should be double checks on each other.

Question #3: What state does the drive need to be in when using this manual method of saving memory from the card to the drive? Powered on, but any other criteria? Example, main control needs to on or off? In Write enable mode for writing from drive to card or not or another mode while reading from the card to memory? Another other little tricks or tricks to make sure I don't bang my head against a wall for a while figuring this out?

I have a card with memory from one machine loaded on it already. Many videos on the internet show how to use a Powermate Pendant to perform this function for two different types of memory, and I hoping to use the manual push-button method which does not have any videos on the net that I have been able to find so far.

Question #4: How about lights? How will I know when the process is under way successfully or complete?

Question #5: If I only have one card, is there a way to capture BOTH types of memory on one card rather than the two card method I see online? What are those two types of memory anyway? If using the manual button method does that do both automatically?

I have attached a pic below of the area in question.

Thanks a ton!!

Attachments

• PowermateELoadSavebutton.JPG
    PowermateELoadSavebutton.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 454
A little more information... when powering on the control, which supplies power to the powermate, the EN light is solid green and the SI light is solid red. As soon as I plug in the Powermate Pendant the SI light start blinking quickly continuously. The Powermate Pendant displays "System Alarm 910 RAM PARITY". At this point the pendant does not respond to any button commands and I can go no further.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 15419755578514137796949059546574.jpg
    15419755578514137796949059546574.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 305
I looked through my PowerMate info and only have manuals for D, F, and H models. None mention the Load and Save buttons and in looking at pictures in the manuals, I did not see that those models have those buttons. Those are all 90s vintage controllers. There were instructions for operation of the memory card via the a PowerMate pendant on a couple of those models.

Typically on Fanuc controls, a 910 RAM Parity alarm indicates that the RAM has been corrupted due to the backup battery going dead. After replacing the battery, the memory must be initialized (like formatting a disk drive, all data will be lost). For a PowerMate D or F you press and hold the 7 and 9 buttons on the pendant while turning on the power. Then you have to reload all the parameters, programs, etc.

Your PowerMate E might have a different process to initialize the memory. Look in your PowerMate maintenance manual under "List Of Operations DPL/MDI" for instructions on "All Memory Clear".

If doing the initialization procedure does not correct the 910 alarm then you probably have a bad memory module which will need to be replaced. After the module is replaced you will have to initialize as noted above.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to store data for multiple controls on a single card. I have never looked into doing that nor trying that though.

Last edited:
Pressing and holding 7 and 9 on the pendant during startup of the drive will reset the memory to clear and then you can reload from there.

Back