What's new
What's new

Fanuc PS0087 issue, need a hand

rb1

Cast Iron
Need some help with Drip feeding error PS0087 on a Fanuc OiMD. I've been able to send / recieve programs to the control fine from my PC running the DNC program with OneCNC. Today I have a large program to run, larger than the memory in the CNC, so I tried to drip feed it. All was fine in the communication end, PC and control act as they should, but part ways into the program, alarm PS0087, buffer overflow popped up. Off to google, and I did a bunch of reading, learned about FIFO, but when I go into the PC device manager, go to properties / advanced for the COM port I am using (COM3, which is a PC card, not using a USB to RS232) but I cannot see anything that says FIFO... PC is a windows 10 model, maybe that has something to do with it?

I can drip feed a small program just fine, but the longer one alarms out.

I have the settings:
COM3
Baud: 9600
Data Bits: 7
Stop Bits: 2
Parity: EVEN
Start at machine
Flow control - XON/XOFF

I can watch on the PC screen and it definitely stops sending the program at intervals, then feeds more, and stops again, etc... but I did not have eyes on the PC screen when the alarm comes up.

Seems like my cable is good, the settings are OK... its just the buffer issue... any ideas?

thank you!!

I would have to look in my fanuc book to be sure what your alarm is for but aside from that here’s my best guess. Your N#s have exceeded 10,000. Try removing your line numbers. You don’t need them anyway. My DNC program has a “delete/renumber line numbers” function.

I would have to look in my fanuc book to be sure what your alarm is for but aside from that here’s my best guess. Your N#s have exceeded 10,000. Try removing your line numbers. You don’t need them anyway. My DNC program has a “delete/renumber line numbers” function.

Sorry, I left that out, the alarm says buffer overload

I know my Fagor would alarm out with more than 10,000 lines... and you may be on to something there. Tho I have not seen anyone mention it in my searches today, seems centered on either the baud rate or the FIFO setting on the PC.

That sounds like an MTB alarm. What are you doing that is using 10,000 lines? How much of your program is getting in before it alarms out? Is it possible you could use some sub programs to cut down on the lines of code?

Safest thing to do would be to get a cable that is set up for hardware handshaking and switch to hardware flow control rather than XON/XOFF in your PC software. A pretty easy way to see if your software is not responding quickly enough to the Fanuc issuing the XOFF is to add a few mS of line pacing in the PC software settings. If you get no or reduced occurrences of PS087 the it is a flow control issue.

That sounds like an MTB alarm. What are you doing that is using 10,000 lines? How much of your program is getting in before it alarms out? Is it possible you could use some sub programs to cut down on the lines of code?
Ok, I’ll look into that. Some of our work is heavy in 3D contouring, so the lines of code add up quick. Thanks

Safest thing to do would be to get a cable that is set up for hardware handshaking and switch to hardware flow control rather than XON/XOFF in your PC software. A pretty easy way to see if your software is not responding quickly enough to the Fanuc issuing the XOFF is to add a few mS of line pacing in the PC software settings. If you get no or reduced occurrences of PS087 the it is a flow control issue.
I will look into adding line pacing. I think I saw something in the settings area for the dnc program. Also thanks for the tip on hardware handshaking. I will look into that also. The Cnc tech had re-pinned my cable when the machine was set up, not sure what pinout it is.

Looks like my software allows "TIMING - LINE DELAY (mSec)" so I'll give that a try.

Others in my boat have slowed the BAUD and reported success, while some have changed the FIFO setting, which is eluding me, but this thread may shed light on the fact that newer PC operating systems (in his case Windows 7, and in mine Windows 10) have eliminated the ability to easily change the FIFO settings, and have to go into the Registry Editor, which is maybe above my pay grade.

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...n-windows-7-home-premium?forum=w7itproinstall

I'd try another computer, like maybe a windows XP unit, but that would land me in another boat whereas the DNC program I'm using is part of OneCNC, and requires a dongle, that I don't want to get into the dongle swap back and forth.

Always something.

You only want to try the line delay for troubleshooting purposes. Same with slowing the Baud rate. Either one reduces the data throughput and will force you to use slower feeds or have the machine data starve which will affect surface finish. Either one is not a fix, just a cover up of the underlying issue which is your DNC software and O/S not reacting quickly enough to the XOFF character sent by the CNC. Switching to hardware flow control removes the software from the picture.

Slight update, no forward progress tho.

With Generaldisarray chiming in, I followed that link for the FIFO registry changes, tho my Windows 10 does not have the same folders as the one in that post instructed, however I searched for RXfifo and TXfifo and found them. I changed the values from 40 on each to 1. Had no improvement, then... having to actually get work done, I dug out the CF card and struggled with getting that working, as I have never used it.

Got that working so I ran my 550kb program, from the memory card, and on the last op, got a PS0003 too many digits alarm, HA! Just classic.

I did not slow down the baud rate, or add msec delay yet... and vancbiker and angelw have given me a great lesson in handshaking, so next I'll jump down that rabbit hole,

thanks so far all

Back