What's new
What's new

Fanuc Restoration Project

TMMWV M-Dojo

Plastic
Hello all,

I have a Fanuc machine center with 31i - A5 controls. I have ongoing a revision to this M/C to be converted into a training machine, and in so doing now require some assistance.

I had it to where it would function correctly in Auto and Manual, but the Warm-up cycle would self-loop and repeat forever, although it would in fact perform this task. Like its warmup never hit M30 or something. So, had one of my guys to insert a counter into the PMC to prevent it from running warmup more than twice. We cycled power to the M/C after making program edits to this effect, and after restoring power it has been an absolute brick since.

I have the following errors in alarm panel:

PW0012 User I/O Cross Check Error (DCS PMC)
PW0013 User I/O Cross Check Error (PMC)
SV1068 Dual Check Safety Alarm
EX1084 KA15 Relay is defective (DCS)
EX1081 KA19 Relay is defective (DCS)

With Diagnostic codes:

0060 Emergency Stop (Operator's Panel)
0081 Start-Lock (Servo Unready)
0130 N Mode (Machining Mode Setting)
0151 Emergency Stop Worked

I have only Quick NC and MDI - I do not believe the PMC is communicating to all parties on the machine. I am confused; I have zero idea how pulling in a keep relay or attempting to write one parallel would have caused all of this. Any thoughts are appreciated, thank you in advance.

Starting at the beginning, from the alarms I can tell it is a Robodrill, but what model?

Can you describe this warm-up program? If it is a regular G code program, can you post it? A warm-up loop doesn't sound like anything standard from Fanuc, and I fail to see how a counter would effect a warm-up program unless you already had some custom functionality built in.

If you have an SRAM backup from before the changes, have you restored from it? If you don't have one, why not?

Can you pull the PMC1 and PMC2 ladders from the machine?

Thanks to everyone who responded so quickly. Some information up front which was requested in the conversation of this thread:

Machine is a Robodrill α-14i F, with 31i-A5 controller. Serial P088WB501

Warm-up loop is not Fanuc programming; all such items are NC on our side. I was previously unable to recover PMC ladder as the controller panel presented limited functionality - I could only manipulate Quick NC from the MDI menu and could not, at least to my understanding at the time, get into the PMC ladder to investigate.

One of my guys in an effort to clear the held-in keeping relays pulled + / - 24 VDC from motherboard which *did* accomplish the intended goal, but left us in a new state of DS0300 each for X, Y, Z and EX1003 Emergency Stop. This absolutely dumped the operating system even if it had not been the issue before. It was explained to me the technician thought the battery backup would have retained all such data such that his goal was to remove the queue of alarms, which again totally did.

This situation was addressed by restoring SRAM from a parallel machine, which brings me to today. I have only two alarms: OT0501 (X)- Overtravel (Soft 1) and EX1003 Emergency Stop. I have some restored functionality from the control panel, but remain in MDI only.

My suspicion at the moment is that the 1003 is holding out the E-Stop circuit preventing motion which I would otherwise then use to set home position and dry run the machine. Having said as much, might anyone have any thoughts about how best to address this new circumstance; how to restore operating panel function?

I have not yet tried to pull the PMC 1&2 ladders from its SRAM restoration; I will go to that directly as I have the next opportunity.

Lastly, for the questions about why not simply take out the changes we made all the way back at original post, we did and the alarms set in original post remained along with its not being mobile anymore. It was in fact this inability to return to original conditions which prompted me to set out looking for assistance abroad, for which I am grateful to everyone who wrote back.

Again, I am grateful for any further investment of time and thoughts on the matter.

X8.4 (estop input) is on, I would assume? Sounds like there might be a short somewhere either in the estop button, in the operation panel, or the IO unit triggering the estop. Easiest thing to check is if the button itself is stuck triggered.

On Robodrills, overtravel alarms don't trigger an estop. You should normally be able to jog the table the opposite direction. You probably have to reset home positions anyway after the SRAM restoration. Been a bit since I had to do one, but I believe it set home position to where the machine was sitting.

Can you elaborate on "the control panel presented limited functionality"? Are some keys not working? If so, can you take an inventory on which ones do and do not work?

Back