What's new
What's new

Fanuc Robodrill

jc39

Plastic
Hi All,

I work in a busy toolroom where we have two hurco vm10's they are a good machine for low volumes of parts. We are very likely to go into mass production and our boss is looking for suggestions as to what machines would be suitable. What is every ones opinion on the Fanuc Robodrill mqachine's.

I started a whole thread on Brother vs Robodrill about two years ago. (Look it up...most of the info is probably still pretty valid.) I ended up getting the Brother because it was maybe 10% cheaper and the Robodrill guy couldn't explain to me what I would be getting for the extra money. Overall, though, it seems like both machines are top-notch so it might come down more to service...Yamazen v....does Methods still rep Robodrill??

I see this is an old thread, but the title is good for my post and reply.
So this is more of a question than an answer.
The specs on a Fanuc Robodrill Mate has good performance.
And the Fanuc Oi-MC is fairly capable it seems.
So I am interested in the experience and knowledge of this community about the total machine performance, reliability, quality for making smaller precision plastic molds and the like.
I like the 1.8 m/s speed, but it is excessive for my requirements.
I like the 10,000 RPM spindle.
I like the the 0.00025" resolution.
And the Z axis has huge force capacity (4000 lb +) for drill/tap that seems to give a safety margin for typical milling.
So, well, I have not run one yet.
So, I am hoping some of you experienced gurus can enlighten me about the pros and cons of this machine. e.g 2006 Fanuc Robodrill mate with Fanuc Oi-MC Control.
I want to add a probe, so info on that will be on target too.

I think a consensus was reached long ago on the cons for the Robodrill Mates.

Cons
-cannot add an additional axis

-terrible lubrication "system" for the axes. If the previous owners failed to lube the LM guides and ballscrews. All those paper stats are out the window.

Barring those two things, they are just a slightly slower Robodrill.

Robodrills are very reliably, but also very expensive to fix - partly because (at least here) Methods supports them but also because they are Fanuc and Fanuc will charge you out the ass for anything and everything. I had a customer with some and any repair visit was generally a Japanese guy swapping out parts (on your dime) until they found the problem and you paid for every part they dropped into the machine in the repair attempt.

Back