Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not that I am aware of. My experience with service on the 0i series controls is pretty limited though. Others here may know more.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I ended up buying that Robodrill Mate. Next step is to order a rotary phase converter. Has anyone gotten away with running this machine with a 20hp RPC?

I believe the spindle is advertised as a 15hp spindle so technically I need a 30hp RPC. However the manual says the spindle runs at 5 hp continuously or 7.5 hp for 15min. This makes me think that a 15-20 hp RPC would do just fine. Thoughts? What is others experience with this?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm running a robodrill on a 25 hp American Rotary RPC. My nameplate states 11 KVA input rating and I wanted to leave some head room for a 4th axis if that ever happens. I needed a stepdown transformer to get within the required input voltage range. I used a single phase autotransformer before the RPC. If you go for a 3 phase stepdown transformer, you may need a disconnect between the RPC and 3 phase transformer so the RPC can start unloaded. Also single phase transformers are cheaper. All industrial had good pricing on the phase converter.

Good luck with getting the machine up and running
    Mike

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike RzMachine View Post
    I'm running a robodrill on a 25 hp American Rotary RPC. My nameplate states 11 KVA input rating and I wanted to leave some head room for a 4th axis if that ever happens. I needed a stepdown transformer to get within the required input voltage range. I used a single phase autotransformer before the RPC. If you go for a 3 phase stepdown transformer, you may need a disconnect between the RPC and 3 phase transformer so the RPC can start unloaded. Also single phase transformers are cheaper. All industrial had good pricing on the phase converter.

Good luck with getting the machine up and running
    Mike
    Thanks for info. Can you explain why you think the 25hp American rotary converter is more than you need for 11KVA nameplate? My robodrill mate has a 10KVA nameplate (1000volt-amps divided by 220 volts is 45 amps which requires a 30 hp RPC, per the sizing charts from America rotary). Is my logic correct with the sizing process from KVA to rotary phase converter size?

In regards to the voltage step down. What was your incoming voltage that required the step down? The manual states that +10%/-15% voltage is ok, which seems like a pretty big acceptable range. Did you see alarms at a certain voltage? Just curious if I should prep this ahead of game time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I tried replying and lost it somehow, here it is again.

If you apply a .8 power factor correction to your conversion you will get down to a 25hp converter. Before purchasing, I would contact American Rotary tech support, they were very helpful and are familiar with what you are doing. All industrial offered very good pricing including shipping.

My incoming voltage sits around 247 vac, above the 220 x 110% machine limit of 242vac. Additionally, if line voltage is close to the machine voltage limits, take into account the regen backfeed power on deceleration. My machine doesn't use shunt resistors, not sure about the Mate. I never powered up at full line voltage as it was clear I needed to step down. I also run transient voltage suppressors on the input power to catch high voltage spikes.

Mike

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike RzMachine View Post
    I tried replying and lost it somehow, here it is again.

If you apply a .8 power factor correction to your conversion you will get down to a 25hp converter. Before purchasing, I would contact American Rotary tech support, they were very helpful and are familiar with what you are doing. All industrial offered very good pricing including shipping.

My incoming voltage sits around 247 vac, above the 220 x 110% machine limit of 242vac. Additionally, if line voltage is close to the machine voltage limits, take into account the regen backfeed power on deceleration. My machine doesn't use shunt resistors, not sure about the Mate. I never powered up at full line voltage as it was clear I needed to step down. I also run transient voltage suppressors on the input power to catch high voltage spikes.

Mike
    Again thanks for the great info Mike. Do you mind posting the make and model, or a link, to the transformer you got to reduce the incoming single phase voltage?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is the autotransformer I used for my install. I paid around $250 from a local electrical supply house. I've seen lower prices online but shipping is expensive on these:
    K1XGF16-2 FEDERAL 1PH BUCK BOOST
    120X240V PRI CU115C RISE 2 KVA
    16/32V SEC
    Using this wiring diagram:
    https://www.temcoindustrial.com/medi...t_wiring_4.pdf
    When wired this way, it will buck 249 to 220 at 15.6KVA and 70.8A

I was pretty confused how autotransformers are rated but I consulted with an electrical engineer friend who reviewed and agreed that it would perform as specified. I was advised that transformers are typically sized for steady state loads and can tolerate transients (as long as it doesn't saturate). The RPC is sized above steady state because the energy storage elements in it need to be large enough for transients.

Mike

8. Likes Cleetis liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quick update - I did call American Rotary today since they are having a 25% off sale. Like everyone has said their customer support is amazing. They have their own buck transformers and they threw in an outdoor rated enclosure for the idler. I went with an AD20 and a 3 KVA transformer. Now its up to me to keep the black smoke inside everything.

10. Likes Mike RzMachine liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Alright, machine is installed along with the RPC and transformer. I will be connecting the wires this weekend. Which contact within the machine should the manufactured line be connected to? I know it should be the one not going to the controls but which one is that?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

it is typically T the furthest right. R S T
    But I would use your meter and beep it out to the fuses for the single phase power supply.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Electrical diagram shows the power supplies running off of R and S.

Did Fanuc ever get back to you about the 4th?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have connections labeled as U1, V1 and W1. I’m guessing the W1 is for the manufactured line meaning it doesn’t go to the controls. How do I check this with an ohm meter?

The Fanuc rep quoted me ~$10k for a 4th indexer and never got back to me on a true 4th.