What's new
What's new

Fanuc Robodrill not reading tool lenght offsets when setting G54 Z0

Hi we just got a new fanuc robodrill with a 31i-B5 controller. I'm trying set a rough Z zero on top of the block so

-I jog the tool down to when I want my zero postion to be.
-Go into my offset, select G54 Z, type in z0 and hit measure.
-It writes a number to the G54 Z column.

But when I load another tool into the spindle it and jog down to the same point it's like it thinks all my tools are the same lenght as the one I set the Z0 with. I think it's not activating the tool lenght offset when I load a new tool.

Anyone had this problem?

Do you call a G43 before setting your G54 Z zero and after changing tools? My robodrill (31i-A5) doesn't automatically apply the tool length offset, it has to be called explicitly after each tool change.

Why are you measuring tool lengths and entering them in G54? G54 and it's brethren are Work Offsets. Set Tool Offsets on the Tool Offset page(s).

Added: If you do what you're doing and enter your lengths in the Tool Offset page(s) as suggested, you will run the job with your G54 Z set to Zero.

More added: Make sure you have Z0 in your SHIFT register (the one right before G54) when making tool length measurements, unless you're purposely compensating for a tool length setting device.

Back