What's new
What's new

Fanuc software options in the late 90's... were they really as easy to "turn on" as

Admin5

Administrator
Staff member
Fanuc software options in the late 90's... were they really as easy to "turn on" as

changing one digit of one parameter ? For example helical interpolation was a $3,000 option on 1999 Makino KE55 mill....so if you paid the $3,000 they changed one digit of one parameter and that's it ?

If so, was the theory that pre internet it was easier to keep things like that under wraps ?

Be careful turning on options yourself. They are intellectual property and the OEM's consider it theft. A repair tech told me of a local shop that turned on numerous options and was reported by another repair company.

I have a couple supermax vmcs, a 94' and one a couple years older. The older one already had helical interpolation turned on, the 94' didn't when I got it.

I called YCM, they told me what parameter# it was, and to transfer the same # from the older machine. Worked like a charm. Think it was a couple $k from Fanuc just to get that number, or I was told.

Be careful turning on options yourself. They are intellectual property and the OEM's consider it theft. A repair tech told me of a local shop that turned on numerous options and was reported by another repair company.
OK, I just edited my post to remove the precise parameter info...although the cat is out of the bag as I found it mentioned numerous times in web searches where I wasn't looking for a parameter per se but just trying to find out if my machine had that capability.

OK, I just edited my post to remove the precise parameter info...although the cat is out of the bag as I found it mentioned numerous times in web searches where I wasn't looking for a parameter per se but just trying to find out if my machine had that capability.

I recall hearing about a lawsuit over this. I recall the judgement being that if you knew how to do it, it's your machine, you can do what you want. I think they would not like someone going around charging to turn on options, but they can't stop the free flow of information.

Not all firmware versions support all options. When you try to turn on an option that is not supported by the firmware version installed, you get a system alarm that requires initialization of the control to clear. That's why Fanuc always asks for the firmware version installed when selling a control option.

If you try to turn on an option that requires additional hardware, you get a similar result. I've seen many attempts to expand the part program memory beyond the installed memory board's capacity end in a dead machine because of this

In this same vein of thought, how much was able to be turned on? I understand say a parameter change for rigid tapping or look ahead (processor kinda stuff) but what about other options like graphics and copy paste sorta stuff. More control end options. Were they a parameter change as well?

Ninja edit: Looks like vancbiker was posting at the same time as me. Is there a way to confirm what firmware supported what options. I can't imagine calling Fanuc about options on a 15 year old control

Out of curiosity, how did the repair company know the options were turned on illegally, and not legally?

In this same vein of thought, how much wase able to be turned on? I understand say a parameter change for rigid tapping or look ahead (processor kinda stuff) but what about other options like graphics and copy paste sorta stuff. More control end options. Were they a parameter change as well?

Ninja edit: Looks like vancbiker was posting at the same time as me. Is there a way to confirm what firmware supported what options. I can't imagine calling Fanuc about options on a 15 year old control

I'm quite sure that Fanuc would be happy to discuss the sale of an option for your 15 year old control. Likewise I'm sure they have a list of firmware versions and what they support. I've never gotten my hands on such a list.

The simple stuff like helical interpolation, extra tool offsets, copy/move/merge, have been on all firmware versions I've messed with. I'll advise this FTVOE... Do not try to turn on 3D cutter comp unless you're sure your firmware supports it. You'll be down a while reloading parameters.

Every control that I've seen with graphics has had an extra graphic processor board. This is one of those "if the hardware isn't there, don't turn it on" items.

Not all firmware versions support all options. When you try to turn on an option that is not supported by the firmware version installed, you get a system alarm that requires initialization of the control to clear. That's why Fanuc always asks for the firmware version installed when selling a control option.

If you try to turn on an option that requires additional hardware, you get a similar result. I've seen many attempts to expand the part program memory beyond the installed memory board's capacity end in a dead machine because of this

so ture but as luck would have it I had just done an S ram backup:willy_nilly:

Back