What's new
What's new

fanuc thermal overload alarm SV436

GSMachinist

Plastic
The shop I work for purchased a new vertical mill with Fanuc drives about 1 month ago, I set up a part that I drilled,counterbore, bored holes and also broached a keyway in the part. Simple part I have run many time before on our other vertical mill with no problems ever also Fanuc drives. During the broaching operation the machine was not happy, I was getting vibration from the machine and a terrible finish. I notified the machine tool repair person and they came and looked at it, they adjusted the gibs on the "Z" axis. The next day I get a thermal overload alarm on "Z" axis. When I handwheel "Z" axis positive (up) the load on the servo motor is at 102% and stays at 102% when not moving. When I handwheel "Z" axis negetive (down) the load is at 12%. I understand that the motor is holding up the weight of the entire "Z" axis but different loads depending on the direction of travel? Is this normal?

thanks

The shop I work for purchased a new vertical mill with Fanuc drives about 1 month ago, I set up a part that I drilled,counterbore, bored holes and also broached a keyway in the part. Simple part I have run many time before on our other vertical mill with no problems ever also Fanuc drives. During the broaching operation the machine was not happy, I was getting vibration from the machine and a terrible finish. I notified the machine tool repair person and they came and looked at it, they adjusted the gibs on the "Z" axis. The next day I get a thermal overload alarm on "Z" axis. When I handwheel "Z" axis positive (up) the load on the servo motor is at 102% and stays at 102% when not moving. When I handwheel "Z" axis negetive (down) the load is at 12%. I understand that the motor is holding up the weight of the entire "Z" axis but different loads depending on the direction of travel? Is this normal?

thanks

I would check that the gib locking screws are tight. Sounds like you got a floating gib.

Back