What's new
What's new

Fanuc tool number versus pot number

rbmgf7

Aluminum
I heard you don't have to match the tool number to the pot in the machine, e.g. T1 can be in pot 10, not pot 1.

If so, wondering how I go about making this change? I'm new to the role but we have a 120 pot machine that has tools in a lot of random places. I have taps for drills that are on the other side of the carousel and it takes forever to cycle to get to the tool.

I have the Fanuc manuals (31i) but it's no clear about how to do setup this configuration. Is it a macro program?

Thanks.

What machine? Most machines with an 31i should have random type tool storage. The last tool out of the spindle will be put into the pot of the one going in. On the older controls there are D registers that keep the tool and pot data. Some machines let you use a Keep Relay to turn off random, that would have the tool and pot numbers matching, but be slower.

I heard you don't have to match the tool number to the pot in the machine, e.g. T1 can be in pot 10, not pot 1.

If so, wondering how I go about making this change? I'm new to the role but we have a 120 pot machine that has tools in a lot of random places. I have taps for drills that are on the other side of the carousel and it takes forever to cycle to get to the tool.

I have the Fanuc manuals (31i) but it's no clear about how to do setup this configuration. Is it a macro program?

Thanks.

How the tool numbers and pots are assigned and handled is determined by the machine builder, not Fanuc. You will need to consult the machine builder's documentation.

What machine is this on? Do you preselect tools in your program to stage the next tool while the current operation is running? or do you call the next tool AT the tool change line in the program?

What machine? Most machines with an 31i should have random type tool storage. The last tool out of the spindle will be put into the pot of the one going in. On the older controls there are D registers that keep the tool and pot data. Some machines let you use a Keep Relay to turn off random, that would have the tool and pot numbers matching, but be slower.

That would be great but we have boring tools that need an extra set of empty pots besides the tool for clearance. Machine is a Hyundai Wia.

What machine is this on? Do you preselect tools in your program to stage the next tool while the current operation is running? or do you call the next tool AT the tool change line in the program?

Yes, we prestage tools but the way the carousel was loaded over the years, tools and processes are scattered all over and I want to try and group them to eliminate wasted time.

Yes, we prestage tools but the way the carousel was loaded over the years, tools and processes are scattered all over and I want to try and group them to eliminate wasted time.

1. If your first tool is in magazine, call it up and put in the spindle.
2. The pot number will now hold "first tool" number.
3. Find the tool number for the next pot in line.
4. Call that tool number and put in spindle.
5. Manually put "second tool" in spindle.
6. Repeat 3 thru 5 until all tools are loaded.

Can take awhile, but it can be worth the effort.

On our machines (Doosan) there is a way to zero out the tool/pocket table so that Tool 1 equals Pocket 1 and so on. We have an application on the machines that handles all of this. But I think this is a Fanuc thing (Tool Management) but if you know how Fanuc is, they could have buried that app anywhere. Basically, call tool '0' so that all tools are in the carousel, go to Tool Management, turn on edit and reset the pocket table. Of course, now all of your tools are in the wrong pocket so it would be a great idea to just take all of the tools out of the machine and replace them after resetting the pocket table. Personally, I leave it be because it has no real downside and they will just get scrambled again very shortly.

Paul

I think matching up the tool and pot numbers is a waste of time, they are just going to get randomized again anyway.

OP needs to study up and learn the tool management system on his machine. There are provisions for defining oversize tools and replacing tools back into the same pot every time.

....OP needs to study up and learn the tool management system on his machine. There are provisions for defining oversize tools and replacing tools back into the same pot every time.

Many machine builders provide this ^, but some do not. In those cases, the user can create a macro (providing the machine has the macro option) to manage oversize tools and always return them to a specific pot.

Many machine builders provide this ^, but some do not. In those cases, the user can create a macro (providing the machine has the macro option) to manage oversize tools and always return them to a specific pot.
I was looking at the 31i Operator's Manual. Was the tool management an option on that series?

Surely Hyundai provided something on a machine with a 120 tool magazine...

My Oi-MC does it with M codes- that's obviously from the MTB rather than Fanuc.

I was looking at the 31i Operator's Manual. Was the tool management an option on that series?

Fanuc has tool life management capability, but it still requires the builder to implement some of the features.

Surely Hyundai provided something on a machine with a 120 tool magazine...

One would hope that Hyundai would provide some kind of method to handle oversize tools. I had to write a macro for an Okuma Howa 852 with 16m control that had no provision for oversize tools. Kind of surprised that machine did not have something, but it didn't.

My Oi-MC does it with M codes- that's obviously from the MTB rather than Fanuc.

All builder determined.

Makino has tool size category as part of the data table where you assign tools to pots. Very handy.

Mori used to do it with tool numbers. T1-T7999 were "normal" tools. T9000-T9999 identify a tool as oversize and T8000-T8999 identify a tool as extra small. That was kind of handy as the system would allow a T8--- defined tool to be placed alongside a T9--- defined tool. That allowed one to use all pots if needed.

This is what I was reading:

http://ucc.colorado.edu/fanuc/B-63944EN.pdf

The part I was referencing is on page 221-222.

I don't know how much of that is optional- I've never ran a 31 series, but if I was the OP I would start there...

I'm not sure if that is optional or not. Knowing Fanuc, I'd guess an option. The only 30 series controls I have worked with were on Makinos and had their Pro5 U/I which has a Makino designed tool management system.

Have a look starting at page 198. Note that ultimately the data stored on the tool management pages is passed to the PMC to be processed for the actual toolchange. This looks like an attempt by Fanuc to provide a builder with a system make tool to pot assignment and tool life management more user friendly.

Interestingly, it also appears that feedrate and spindle speed could be assigned to a tool. Not quite sure how that would be addressed in a program.

Thanks.

some cnc have a electronic chip reader and each chip in each tool holder would need to be programmed with new tool number
common to have tool number mean something
20000028 is a face mill that is if starts with a 20
10000098 is a drill that is it starts with a 10
.....obviously can have many 20000028 mills and each would have a serial number
tool numbering system can easily include over 1000 different tool numbers (and over 10,000 tool serial numbers) used on many machines. the tool number becomes like a drawing number. literally can lookup number with that tools setup info and often access a drawing on the tool in tool holder. including tolerances on that tool setup
non chip tools many cnc have a screen where you put cursor at empty pocket number and put in serial number and cnc asks a computer about that serial number to find its tool number, offsets and tool life.
some cnc at empty pocket number cursor you would enter all this manually. the more you enter manually the more chance of a mistake

Back