What's new
What's new

Was Fanuc using CRT monitors on any controls as late as Sept 2006 ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Vaguely interested in a Japanese turning center that has 9/2006 date on the nameplate....but the seller hasn't seen it under power in a while and can't remember if it has color or monochrome LCD. So he calls the manufacturer and they tell him it is probably a CRT monitor ! Is that possible ?

See my reply in your duplicate posts. I have seen Fanuc controls with monochrome CRT monitors brand new in 2017. It's very possible.

I guess when I think CRT, I imagine the 12" monitors with yellow/green text (monochrome). But still, 2006 using tube technology seems weird. Maybe it's just because of my location.

R

IIRC I worked on a ~2000 Makino with a 160iMB using their PRO3 U/I that had a color CRT. Everything after that was LCD or similar.

Machine tool builder gets a choice of monitors, size and type. I would not be surprised if Fanuc still offered CRTs well into the 2000s. None of the builders I was buying from were using them though. There was a real push to skinny up operator panels/pendants starting in the 90s. That's when the plasma and LCDs really started to become prevalent.

You don't remember the NBC peacock ? The Avengers finally in color ? Dang, boy, we gotta send you over to youtube for a refresher !

I also don't remember Dinosaurs, or figuring out that Fire can be dangerous. I wasn't there when you decided lightning wasn't just an act of vengeance for screwing your livestock.

R

Is that possible ?

We have 2 Mori lathes from 2006, both have a color LCD. 0-I control.
Can the seller tell you if the screen is flat like a tv? Or does it have a curve like the crt monitors?
If it's flat, then it's a color lcd.

I've got an '07 Doosan VMC with FANUC 0I-M control. Monochrome (Amber) CRT.
Works just fine.

So yeah, it could be a CRT. Front face is curved (slightly) like a CRT TV tube.

FWIW,
Brian

We have 2 Mori lathes from 2006, both have a color LCD. 0-I control.
Can the seller tell you if the screen is flat like a tv? Or does it have a curve like the crt monitors?
If it's flat, then it's a color lcd.
Seller eventually emailed a closeup view of the monitor and I could tell it had a curved face behind the flat front glass,,,,so yeah, definitely CRT

Wouldn't surprise me, but it would most likely be the end of the line for displays like that. I haven't seen a monochrome display in years on a new machine. CRT's have pretty much gone away, to the point where if you smoke one on an older control, Fanuc and Okuma have LCD/Plasma replacements for them.

Back