What's new
What's new

Feeds and Speeds on a Wheel Cutter

G00 Proto

Hot Rolled
I have a part that I need to make with a 1/2" undercut (~1/2" width). The material is 8620 of unknown hardness. I am planning on using a 3"x 1/2" 20 tooth wheel cutter on a CAT 40 Arbor. I only need to make two (so far). If I run the book numbers I get 127 RPM (100 SFM). I don't plan on taking it all in one depth of cut, maybe .050 per pass. I don't know if I have any horsepower at 127 RPM. Anyone got any good suggestions. I only bought one cutter, so if it doesn't work, the world will end :)

I have a part that I need to make with a 1/2" undercut (~1/2" width). The material is 8620 of unknown hardness. I am planning on using a 3"x 1/2" 20 tooth wheel cutter on a CAT 40 Arbor. I only need to make two (so far). If I run the book numbers I get 127 RPM (100 SFM). I don't plan on taking it all in one depth of cut, maybe .050 per pass. I don't know if I have any horsepower at 127 RPM. Anyone got any good suggestions. I only bought one cutter, so if it doesn't work, the world will end :)

the most important factor is length and dia and or shape of the tool holder or arbor holding the wheel mill. vibration 99.99999% of the time is the most limiting factor. speeds and feeds and depth/width of cut are adjusted based on vibration.
finish is often rough with a wheel mill unless you take a finish cut. most just use wheel mill for clearance and finish is not that important. when finish is important the cutter usually needs to be sharp. once dull its basically impossible to get a good finish

What machine are you running this on? I assume a CNC since it’s Cat40?

My first thought when reading your post, if the world will end of it doesn’t work, can you run that portion on a manual machine? Do you have a good manual mill?

What machine are you running this on? I assume a CNC since it’s Cat40?

My first thought when reading your post, if the world will end of it doesn’t work, can you run that portion on a manual machine? Do you have a good manual mill?

I was thinking about running it on one of my VF series Haas machines. I haven't had a manual machine is a lot of years (although sometimes I miss having one). It is a predominantly round part, so I might rough it out on a cnc lathe... or spool it up on a forth axis. Too many choices. Then again it is 4:00 on a Friday, I might just wait to fuck this one up over the weekend. Easiest solution it just to do it in one shot on a 3 Axis machine with one set of soft jaws. I think I'll just go 250 RPM, 10 IPM and .050" per pass... definitely conservative and might be even teetering on the brink of rubbing, but I only gotta make two of them.

I was thinking about running it on one of my VF series Haas machines. I haven't had a manual machine is a lot of years (although sometimes I miss having one). It is a predominantly round part, so I might rough it out on a cnc lathe... or spool it up on a forth axis. Too many choices. Then again it is 4:00 on a Friday, I might just wait to fuck this one up over the weekend. Easiest solution it just to do it in one shot on a 3 Axis machine with one set of soft jaws. I think I'll just go 250 RPM, 10 IPM and .050" per pass... definitely conservative and might be even teetering on the brink of rubbing, but I only gotta make two of them.

Without knowing more, I would say definitely yes to rough the majority out on the lathe, or even rotating on the 4th.

Is the cutter carbide or HSS? How thick?

I recently did something similar in 303ss on my brother. I used a Maritool saw arbor with a 2"diametet x .15" thick robbjack carbide saw. Used their F&S chart. Took .05 radial depths stepping down in Z every .125". Repeated until final undercut diameter. Wasn't speedy, but i only had a couple to do. Worked out fine.

I recently did something similar in 303ss on my brother. I used a Maritool saw arbor with a 2"diametet x .15" thick robbjack carbide saw. Used their F&S chart. Took .05 radial depths stepping down in Z every .125". Repeated until final undercut diameter. Wasn't speedy, but i only had a couple to do. Worked out fine.

I was going to tackle it this weekend, but the weather turned nice and I had some concerns about the feeds and speeds, so I went fishing instead :) I figured I can fuck this up just as easily on Monday. If I recall correctly this was the first day off I have taken since Christmas. I think I agree on your technique for this. I really ought to do it on a more capable machine, but when your favorite tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

"The worst day fishing....." or racing, hunting, camping or sailing.....:)

If any of you lazy miscreants ever want to come out to Idaho and go fishing, I'm always willing. It is nice to spend time with people that think arguments about speeds and feeds, helix angles of cutters, and coolant brands are the best sorts of discussions. It turns out, most people don't argue about such things. Unless your one of those Brother leg humpers, I don't want to get preached to all day long :)

Back