What's new
What's new

File output from Takisawa TCN-2100 with Fanuc Oi-TF. How to format?

rfrink

Cast Iron
Hello!

I have a new Takisawa TCN-2100 lathe with a Fanuc Oi-TF control. When I save a file from the machine to a USB flash drive, the G-code appears all on one line....rather than consecutive lines.

Is there a way to format the output?

Thanks!

Sometimes it makes a difference which software you are using to read it. What are you using? Sometimes just switching from notepad to wordpad makes things work, according to my local Yamazen tech support guy.
Otherwise, there might be a parameter that needs switching, I'm sure a Fanuc guru will be along at some point.

Hi rfrink,

Not sure if my response is still of interest to you, given that your request is now 4 months old, but here goes.

I strongly suspect the difference is one of so-called "newline" convention in the technical character encoding of the document. For example, Windows inherited its convention from MS-DOS, which itself took it from the relatively ancient CP/M operating system. That convention is to represent a newline by the combined "CR+LF" encoding, where "CR" stands for "carriage return" and "LF" stands for "line feed." Conversely, the Multics operating system, as well as its successors, such as Unix & Linux, and the eventual ISO/IEC 646 standard, use a single "LF" to represent a newline. (More details, for those interested, at Wikipedia's Newline entry.

My strong guess is that your Fanuc controller exports its G-Code with the "LF" convention for newlines. When viewed with many programs on Windows, those newlines would appear not to exist (since they are not "proper" Windows' newlines with "CR+LF" encodings).

There are a few ways to fix. Easiest would be:

(1) Supposedly, very recent versions of Notepad on Windows (after Win10's 1803 or 1809 releases), should have greater support for "LF" newlines. More info here: Notepade New Release. Please note that I've never used this new release, so recommend it only from the associated article.

(2) There exist free software (libre + beer, for those who care) utilities that can easily convert between newline encodings, and then you don't have to worry about the Windows program you use, as they will be "proper" or native encodings for Win newlines. I'd recommend the package known as "tofrodos" (correct spelling here; it's NOT "tofromdos"). Among other places, that can be retrieved, for free, from: ToFroDos repository. Here's another alternate, of the same genre, known as "Dos2Unix / Unix2Dos" and hosted at: Dos2Unix Repository. If one is inconvenient for you, perhaps the other is better.

Please let me know if this framework solves your problem. Your Takisawa looks like a marvelous CNC lathe (from a distance). I've never used one, though I've seen them run at IMTS, etc. How do you like it?

Warm regards,
txinf18

Back