What's new
What's new

Fix a coolant drip with flex seal?

Turbowerks

Cast Iron
You know , I have that that one drip on a otherwise sealed up mill enclosure just looking for the temporary ( permanent) fix.
So the add goes across the tv screen and i just wonder..... maybe. Not wanting to tear the enclosure apart and seal it right until I have time to do it.
Any tries? Did it hold up to coolant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well, if you cleaned up the area with mineral spirits , then acetone, you may be lucky enough to get a good bond.

if you get a good bond, I see no reason after the cure why it wouldn't hold up.

so yea it should hold up.

I used some of that tape to seal a small hole in the bottom of roll out coolant chip tank. Held up great, even with the abuse of scooping out chips many times. It only recently finally let go after what, maybe 3 years? And that's after drowning most the time in Qualchem 251C.

Plasti dip in a paint can (not the spray paint version) I would think is worth a try and yes x1000 agree with woodchucknj on getting it CLEAN!

I used flex seal 1 Time in my life, on a gutter seal that was leaking.
Didn’t work for a shit!

And I’ve used plasti dip, rtv, jb weld and silicone caulk Successfully time and time again.

From my little experience with flex seal I think it’s just plasti dip with a better sales pitch

Thanks for the reply’s . I would clean good for sure otherwise no chance.
Now can this get sidetracked to a political shitshow like most the other post? Lol

Try Permatex Ultra Black RTV. I've had it seal up oil pans on race motors that have positive crankcase pressure and high oils temps.

Some folks in the RV community speak well of eternabond - used mainly to seal leaks in RV roofs. I have not used any of these things, I only mention it as "another thing to try".

Some folks in the RV community speak well of eternabond - used mainly to seal leaks in RV roofs. I have not used any of these things, I only mention it as "another thing to try".

Ya that butil rubber tape has to be the worst crap to peel off of a rv to do a repair on until you want it to stick seems like. But they do have some amazing stuff for bonding and sealing plywood and tin together

I agree with the RTV ultra black silicone. But the reliability of all any of these options depends on proper prep work. Clean the area well with solvent and give it a final wipe down with brake cleaner (acetone in a convenient spray can).

I sprayed some of the aerosol flex seal on a spot inside an enclosure just to see how long it lasted. It crumbled into a mess in short order.

I would clean good for sure otherwise no chance.
Now can this get sidetracked to a political shitshow like most the other post? Lol

Sure it can! Just change the title to say White Flexseal and sit back/watch!

On the serious side though, this stuff is pretty amazing.
Did not use it on coolant yet, but recently sealed up a Wire EDM water tank that is made of steel ( whatever Brother was thinking with the HS3xxx series )
I've used plastic mosquito net to build up a few edges and patch seriously large ( 1-2" dia ) holes.
There was no way to absolutely clean up the rust, so did the best I can and then brushed the stuff on it.
The one I used came in a can and it says it's the "thicker" formula, but it's still has a pretty darn low viscosity and takes a bit to dry.
I ended up brushing the first layer onto the screen patches, and kept on going back every half hour to an hour to make sure there were no big drips.
Then the second day ( some 18 hours later ) it was cured to a consistency that was still fairly soft but no longer pliable.
I then added a second layer with brush-on and extras where needed and let it flow around a bit.
Then after another 24-32 hours of curing it became thick and fully adhered. I have tried to pry it up in some places to see how well it stuck. Well, It was stuck!

In any case, I would recommend that you go ahead and try, but please get back to us about how it worked with coolant!
In my case with plane water and rusty surface, it is flawless.

Try Dow 732. Wipe the surfaces down with isopropyl alcohol first if possible for the best adhesion. Worked great for me.

Getting back on the flex seal tape , i cleaned it as good as i could brake cleaner 3m , dried with air, came back with 99 % isopropyl, air dried , stuck the tape thought is was on for life!
Used it for a week no drips thought i had it. Over the weekend came back on monday an the tape was lifting on the edges, by tuesday it was pretty much shot. This was using the schaeffers syncool 411 coolant with di water.
Guess I’ll pull the panels and seal it right [emoji53]

If you are certain you will never, ever need to remove the parts again go down to your local Ford dealer and buy a tube of the shit they use to glue on the 7.3 Powerstroke oil pans.

I shit you not if it leaks that stuff will seal it.

Used it to seal the pan on a Big Cam Cummins leaking a coffee can a minute.

Used it to seal a Cat D7 that blew a headgasket externally shooting out a stream of coolant.

If you are certain you will never, ever need to remove the parts again go down to your local Ford dealer and buy a tube of the shit they use to glue on the 7.3 Powerstroke oil pans.

I shit you not if it leaks that stuff will seal it.

Used it to seal the pan on a Big Cam Cummins leaking a coffee can a minute.

Used it to seal a Cat D7 that blew a headgasket externally shooting out a stream of coolant.

Don't believe him? Try and take the pan off one without turning it inside out. Holy shit is that stuff tough.

Getting back on the flex seal tape , i cleaned it as good as i could brake cleaner 3m , dried with air, came back with 99 % isopropyl, air dried , stuck the tape thought is was on for life!
Used it for a week no drips thought i had it. Over the weekend came back on monday an the tape was lifting on the edges, by tuesday it was pretty much shot. This was using the schaeffers syncool 411 coolant with di water.
Guess I’ll pull the panels and seal it right [emoji53]

Never used the tape, but coolant eats the spray stuff like it’s nothing. ATV silicon caulk seems to work the best for semi-permanent seals that can also be removed if you need to. Coolant eats that too, but it should last for a year or two.

Back