What's new
What's new

Fixed diameter collets for flexible parts?

tribologist

Cast Iron
I'm looking for a solution to clamp down a thin walled needle bearing outer ring to force it to a given outer diameter and high roundness. (12mm nominal)

A self centering four or three jaw chuck where the jaws bottom out and a 11.998mm hole ground is a solution but I would rather have a collet solution if possible.

In a way it would be like an emergency collets with the pins left in during use. Are there any collets that are design to bottom out like this when closed? I'm considering bonding shims in a 5-C and then grind it but any "home made" solution is probably way costlier than getting something made by someone doing collets for a living.

Get a set of S20 collet pads. They also make master jaws for a 3-jaw chuck so that might be the least expensive way to get started and could be adjusted to close tight then hard bored.

I had Hardinge make me some special collets for thin walled aluminum. We used .006 wide slots. They told me at the time they could make them with zero wide slots. Not sure how you to deal with the spring back.

I had Hardinge make me some special collets for thin walled aluminum. We used .006 wide slots. They told me at the time they could make them with zero wide slots. Not sure how you to deal with the spring back.

Thanks Fred, I will check with them. Sounds what im after. It is just for measuring the installed clearance. Needle roller bearings has a huge range. You can measure it by pressing it into a ring but thats a Schrödingers cat thing. The Manufacturers state not to use after that... i like to genly Squeeze it round and then gage them and sort by clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back