What's new
What's new

Fixturing long parts vertically on a VMC?

Cole2534

Diamond
I use my VMC to do work on the ends of small shafts, ~1" OD x >10"L. Currently I have a lathe chuck clamped to the table and while it works great it's only good for 1 part at a time. I've considered buying some cheap lathe chucks with 2pc jaws and putting those on the table but I'm wondering if there is a better way?

I see that Kurt has their sidewinder add-on, but it's $550 new and at that pricepoint I'd rather jump up to a vise that may be laid on its side like 3600

Dedicated fixturing is an option, something like a large angle plate with clamps to accommodate the work. A small tombstone could be interesting as well.

Have I overlooked any options?

The mill work is light, 1/4-1/2"" tools cutting stressproof, 17-4 H900 or 4140ht.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

A large 90deg. plate with a series of V blocks along the top and strap clamps on studs in between will make for a quick and inexpensive fixture with good repeatability that is easy to remove and install.

For Rounds, I use a 3 jaw Chuck on a sub plate. For Square, I turn my vise on its side. Can't remember the Kurt model that doesn't have the flanged out bottom.

R

I use a cast iron 90* plate and then I made a 2 piece block that holds 5 - 1" shafts it works fairly well the pars are not super precision. I bored the block with the VMC I also added 5 set screws one for each hole and there is a bolt between each hole and one on each end that clamps the shafts in the place the half of the block that is against the angle plate is bolted from the back side to the angle plate. The shafts I do are up to 12" long and I machine a detail 2" long on each one.

This is similar to the angle plate I use mine is a cheap import but works for what I use it for.

Ground .0005" Webbed Slotted Angle Plate 12 x 9 x 8" High Tensile Cast Iron New | eBay

we do quite a bit long round and flat parts for endwork.
I picked up few of those 3 collet fixtures on ebay last year think they were around 300 bucks each well worth every penny. the company thats builds them usually had extras they put on ebay very cheap.

The kurt sidewinder flat out sucks for pretty much anything until you modify it. dump the steel jaws and put alum jaws on it, not cut to shape ones just flat ones. the steel jaws are too smooth the parts slip while your drilling a hole.
also they dont lock down that great with out some playing and adjusting.

we use angle plates alot and just cut flat fixtures in a lay down vise then put them on angle plate and indicate in.

I asked the same question in 2011: https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/cnc-machining/milling-end-tube-226215/?highlight=Vmc+tube+end

I went with the angle plate option with aluminum fixturing and clamping. Pictures of my fixture on post 13. Cheap Enco cast iron angle plate. Have maybe $100 in it total. Still going strong after 8 years.

I really like that round tube clamp setup that was shown in that thread. I could easily convert the front half of my fixture to work like that. I had to add set screws to the front of mine because some of the stock from one batch to the next will have slightly different diameter and then they don't tighten down evenly. The bad thing about the set screw is it leaves a mark on the stock.

Those angle fixtures are great. Another quick solution is just used the chuck you already have and set it up on a set of 246 blocks or something to get it higher. Then the part will stick out less and it will be rigid and repeatable.

I have a chuck dedicated to the mill and have it mounted on 1" thick by 9" wide aluminum base plate. It has slots in the end for bolting directly to the table like a vice. And the reason its only 9 inch wide is so I can pop the whole thing in a DX6 vice. Saves me from pulling vices off for a quick job. Another bonus of this setup is that I can clamp it between 2 vices and part can side down through and rest on table. This give me about 5"+ more height with chuck in vice on parallels. Good luck with it

I have the chuck on blocks now, though just toe-clamped to the table.

Got some good ideas now, thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Back