What's new
What's new

Flat Bottom Drill

D.E.L

Plastic
Hi,

Has anyone got any recommendations to Flat Bottom Drills?

Size - 19mm diameter & 17mm diameter

I'm aware of Mitsubishi's HSS VAPDSCBD1700 and VAPDSCBD1900.
These preform best but are hard to source.

Kennametal do a Carbide version.
Much more expensive!

TaeguTec do a flat bottom insert for a their drill bodies.
Untested as of yet.

Any other suggestions/recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

If you don't need it perfectly flat, you could try any of the insertable drills on the market (i.e. Sandvik 880). Otherwise, if you want a more economical solution versus solid carbide you could try an Iscar Sumocham. They recently started releasing flat bottom inserts. Never tried one, but they look like they'd work, and its a lot cheaper to replace a carbide tip than an entire solid carbide drill.

E

Try Cutwel, they do the Korloy range - not used the drills but never had anthing bad of Korloys

Insert S2165 - Spade Drill Insert | Hole Making Tools | Cutwel Ltd

Shank Supercut Spade Drill Holder | Hole Making Tools | Cutwel Ltd

Never had any problem with Cutwel as a company.

Tried and tested. (Works, but slower)

Allied has flat bottom inserts for spade drills

Why can't you grind one?

No facilities to carry this task out, or know of supplier.

If you don't need it perfectly flat, you could try any of the insertable drills on the market (i.e. Sandvik 880). Otherwise, if you want a more economical solution versus solid carbide you could try an Iscar Sumocham. They recently started releasing flat bottom inserts. Never tried one, but they look like they'd work, and its a lot cheaper to replace a carbide tip than an entire solid carbide drill.

E

I will look at the Iscar option.

I've been using the new Ingersoll Gold Twist flat bottom drill. It fits the standard body. I used the .4375 size in 1215 steel and it works fine.

http://www.ingersoll-imc.com/en/products/NEW-202-2_Gold-Twist-Flat-Bottom.pdf

Tried and tested.

I have had great luck with the Iscar flat bottom drills in mainly mild steel but we do run some stainless in smaller quantities.

Saved us a bunch of time per part and we use those in decent quantity. Only thing holding it back is my old Sl-10 lathe, we start pushing the bar about the time it starts making pretty chips.

Use a regular drill to drill your hole. Then, follow up with a one peck with your flat bottom or plunge a square shoulder end mill.

Why not use a 15 mm Endmill and use a circle toolpath of your choosing? I mean we are talking CNC right, since this is the CNC sub?

Robert my ±2

No facilities to carry this task out, or know of supplier.
I will look at the Iscar option.
Tried and tested.

You've obviously been round the block a few times with this already.

What exactly is it you're trying to fix? Tool life? Cycle time? Finish? Flatness??

Y'all kant flat bottom a twist drill?

By chance is there a machine shop with an actual on staff machinist in your neighborhood?

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I'm still trying to figure out why this thread is even alive, the OP has been given all the info. he needs, but it does seem weird that he "kant" make it flat himself.

Robert

I have been using Nachi Aqua Drill EX Flat drills for a while and they work great. relatively inexpensive and the hole size is very close to the drill size. they make nice counter bored holes or what I originally bought them for was angled cam pin holes in mold slides. which they work great for. You don't have to mill a flat then drill the angle hole just drive the drill straight through so they really save a couple of operations.

Not to labor the point, but if you don't have the "facilities" to do so. Might I suggest getting them? We have a really nice DareX pedestal drill grinder, and you can set the angle you wish to cut and everything. I didn't buy it, so I don't know the price, but that would solve your problem quick. Just make sure you get one with enough capacity for those larger drills. The one we have maxes out at 1/2". The bigger ones we have to do buy hand.

Back