What's new
What's new

Flat spots at the nodes when cutting circles.

thephridge

Plastic
Howdy,

We finally got our home built up and running. while cutting 3" circles out of a 48" x 47" work piece (PVC Foam) we are getting a little bump outs or flat spots where the 4 nodes are. We are running V-Carve and Linux CNC with a Gecko G540. All of our hardware seems tight.
Suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thephridge

Give the guy a break, willya?

It does sound like backlash in the ball screws, but you did say the hardware seems tight. First tell us what the hardware is. Are you using ballscrews? Are there parameters somewhere for backlash compensation? Are you using rotary encoders?

I'll shut up now....

Thank you. The Z is ballscrew. X and Y are sprocket/chain. If there are backlash settings in Linux CNC, I'm not sure where to find them. My guess is that we are not using rotary encoders. By the way...whats a rotary encoder?

As already stated, you have mechanical backlash in your system. The flat spots on circles are a classic symptom of backlash.

LinuxCNC does have software backlash compensation,though I can't tell you how to set it up(I don't use LinuxCNC).

Software compensation can only do so much. Lots of shapes will actually cut more accurately with the compensation turned off.

Best to get rid of as much of the actual backlash as possible before using software to correct for it. I'm not sure how much you can do with chain/sprocket system, though.

Give the guy a break, willya?

What do you mean? Just gave a gentle suggestion to find a DIY site. There are several. He will get much better advice in one of those because there will be many users of hardware and software similar to what he has.

In case you don't know it, the owner of this forum wants to keep it about professional CNC machines and uses. There is a statement about that in the fine print somewhere.

I'll shut up now....

Thank you!

What do you mean? Just gave a gentle suggestion to find a DIY site. There are several. He will get much better advice in one of those because there will be many users of hardware and software similar to what he has.

In case you don't know it, the owner of this forum wants to keep it about professional CNC machines and uses. There is a statement about that in the fine print somewhere.

It wasn't just you. And it wasn't just Mike (Finegrain). It was a combination of the two and that thefridge is a new poster here. Together, forming a pretty stark intro. My suggestion is - welcome the guy first, then question, advise, whatever. PM does have the reputation for being hard on newbies. For being hard on everybody, for that matter. I've gotten used to it and appreciate the frank nature of the conversation, but not everybody does. First impression/first post is important.

My apologies to you if I appeared to come on too strong. I meant it in a casual way. I did like your followup, BTW. You supplied information.

litlerob1: A lot of us started out as Harry Hacksaw. I certainly did, and improved my skills. Looks like the thefridge has, too. He's willing to ask questions and eager to learn. All excellent traits, IMO. If the moderator(s) wanna police the forum, fine.

thefridge: You still here, man? :)

Wikipedia has a good article on rotary encoders. Rotary encoder - Wikipedia . Briefly, it's a gizmo that senses the angular position of the shaft it's connected to. Another gizmo interprets the signal and displays the coordinate (in the case of DROs) or to a CNC control/servoamp that controls the servomotor driving that axis. Encoders can be used for other things, too, but these are the two primary uses in machine tools. So it's a measuring device that is part of a feedback loop. A linear encoder does the same thing, and has the advantage of sensing actual position, whereas a system with a rotary encoder has to compensate for backlash, shaft windup, bearing clearance, chain stretch/slack, coupling flexibility/clearance etc. Linear encoders must be as long as the axis travel, so they'd be much more expensive than a rotary for your project. So the rotary has some problems, but most folks use them because they're less expensive than linears.

Stepmotors, maybe what you have, don't use encoders. The control just sends the required number of pulses to the motor, assuming the correct number of revolutions. There's no feedback loop. Still used some for DIY projects because of low cost.

Neil

Neil, I understand what you are saying, but I don't care. You don't walk around Augusta, GA talking mini golf. This is not Practicalmachinebuilder.com. You don't get to compete in MotoGP unless.....

This space is without question a collection of the greatest minds in Modern (and Antiquated :)) Manufacturing. Why would we want to dilute that?

By your suggestion, we should allow anyone in who doesn't read and respect the guidelines for contributing. I think the guy has great traits too...in the right environment, not here. The other website does EXACTLY what this guy is looking for.

R

.....My suggestion is - welcome the guy first, then question, advise, whatever. .... First impression/first post is important.

All this will do is give the appearance that posting about DIY hobby CNCs is acceptable here. Once that happens the volume of threads asking questions about why the POS toy CNC they cobbled up does not do something right will explode and it will turn into something like the zone. Some here may think that's OK, personally I don't. I like to try to use the years of experience I have in keeping CNCs running to help other professionals do the same. I'm not going to wade through a forum clogged up with threads about hobby grade machines.

I did like your followup, BTW. You supplied information.

Purely selfish. I hoped that the OP would hurry on over to a place he belongs now. In future if he finds his toy CNC to continue to be unsatisfactory and he wants to explore higher grade machinery he's welcome to post here.

If the moderator(s) wanna police the forum, fine.

Since Milacron has not been around much to police and quickly shut down this type thread they have been creeping up in volume. It would be nice to have an active Mod here.

Since Milacron has not been around much to police and quickly shut down this type thread they have been creeping up in volume. It would be nice to have an active Mod here.

I believe you are retired, may have some time on your hands, pretty even keeled, hmmmm? :D

Neil, I understand what you are saying, but I don't care. You don't walk around Augusta, GA talking mini golf. This is not Practicalmachinebuilder.com.

Yeah, true now. Though my CNC machine project (before PM or the site-which-must-not-be-mentioned) would have been way easier with access to a place like this. Not a hobby project, either and built in the days when real CNC cost more than the components and we couldn't buy what we needed.

This space is without question a collection of the greatest minds in Modern (and Antiquated :)) Manufacturing. Why would we want to dilute that?

I see your point. Then there are threads like "What should the US do about Mexico". Sometimes the greatest minds post there. :D PM has it's offdays, too.

By your suggestion, we should allow anyone in who doesn't read and respect the guidelines for contributing. I think the guy has great traits too...in the right environment, not here. The other website does EXACTLY what this guy is looking for.

And now he knows about it. I also think it's important to be civil, say hello and explain things. I'm OK with pretty much anybody who is straightforward, responds well and writes at a minimum 6th grade level, but there are more than a few posters here that don't punctuate are incapable of constuct a series of words to convay a clear thot I'M THE BEST!!!! ROOKIES SUK can't tak the tim to spel worth a sit make riun on sentences call peeples names bum me ot dude thats like a drag. ;) I'd rather read about chain drives.

You seem pretty even keeled and also to care about the forum. Hmmm. Retired? Got any time on your hands? :D

Yeah, true now. Though my CNC machine project (before PM or the site-which-must-not-be-mentioned) would have been way easier with access to a place like this. Not a hobby project, either and built in the days when real CNC cost more than the components and we couldn't buy what we needed.

I see your point. Then there are threads like "What should the US do about Mexico". Sometimes the greatest minds post there. :D PM has it's offdays, too.

And now he knows about it. I also think it's important to be civil, say hello and explain things. I'm OK with pretty much anybody who is straightforward, responds well and writes at a minimum 6th grade level, but there are more than a few posters here that don't punctuate are incapable of constuct a series of words to convay a clear thot I'M THE BEST!!!! ROOKIES SUK can't tak the tim to spel worth a sit make riun on sentences call peeples names bum me ot dude thats like a drag. ;) I'd rather read about chain drives.

You seem pretty even keeled and also to care about the forum. Hmmm. Retired? Got any time on your hands? :D

That last part is too funny, I actually do have some time. BUT, I'm an unstable, vengeful Psychopath so probably not. Sarcasm, unbridled lewdness and smart assedness doesn't qualify me for much.

That crap in THAT sub forum is a disgrace to this website IMO. It wasn't always out of hand, up until a certain year, it was actually about Manufacturing over-seas. And it was interesting, now it's basically a Red, Blue discussion between the aged and the bored, it's embarrassing that we are even connected to it.

Back