What's new
What's new

Flatting Cycle G77, HAAS to Miyano

rabtrfld

Aluminum
We would like to use an old program from a Haas lathe, but it calls flatting cycle G77.
We got rid of the Haas & now have a Miyano BNE51SY5 (Fanuc).
We were wondering if there is a way to code around G77 not implemented on Miyano.
We can surely code a flat by hand if we have to. I don't know what they're working on,
its not my project, but I can find out (aka "butt in").

"Flatting cycle?"
WTH?

You mean for generating flats with live tools on a round part?
It would be G12.1 or G112 Polar Coordinate Function, turned off with a G13.1 or G113.

"Flatting cycle?"
WTH?

You mean for generating flats with live tools on a round part?
It would be G12.1 or G112 Polar Coordinate Function, turned off with a G13.1 or G113.

Hello Douglas,
The Haas Flatting Cycle isn't as comprehensive as Polar Interpolation, in that it can only cut flats; one only if the optional "K" address is specified, or as many, equally spaced around the workpiece, as specified by the address "L". L must be equal or greater than 3; accordingly, if two sides are required, two G77 cycles are performed with "K" specified and indexed by specifying I angle spacing. Following are the arguments available with the G77 cycle. Only those shown in Red are madatory, all others being optional.

I Angle of first flat, in degrees.
J Distance from center to flat.
L Number of flat surfaces to cut
R Tool Radius
S Spindle Speed
K Part Diameter

rabtrfld said:
We were wondering if there is a way to code around G77 not implemented on Miyano.
We can surely code a flat by hand if we have to.

Hello rabtrfld,
As suggested by Douglas, Polar Interpolation, but its an overkill replacement for the HAAS G77 Cycle. Polar Interpolation is a Fanuc Option, therefore, if your control is not equipped with that feature and you can hand code a flat, then you could create your own version of G77 with User Macro.

Regards,

Bill

I Angle of first flat, in degrees.
J Distance from center to flat.
L Number of flat surfaces to cut
R Tool Radius
S Spindle Speed
K Part Diameter
Bill

Thanks for that info. I looked at their drawing and it was like a carriage bolt with a square boss and a hex head. I hope they are planning to use hex stock. Even so, it's like making a toothpick from a birch tree. We used to have bolt headachers but sold them locally and I know we buy from them, so I hope we go that route, just because the amount of waste from turning would be obscene. Except all of the thread rollers were busted so maybe they can't make threaded parts in one shot any more. Who knows why we didn't design the assembly to use COTS bolts. Also we currently get them from China (headed) so what we save by turning them, is a mystery to me. So if they go through with it, we'll just code it, it isn't rocket science. But it is odd for us as all of our products used to be symmetrical and only used X and Z with form tools so not much coding went on here.

Back