Floppy to USB converter anyone tried one?
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Floppy to USB converter anyone tried one?

Found this on another forum.

Floppy to USB disk drive upgrade

Wonder if anyone has tried one? We have an older machine with a floppy drive and RS232. The RS232 is too slow for the large files we generate for mold cavities.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If the 'puter has usb, if the operating system supports usb, why buy that box? Am I missing something?

If the chassis has a spare slot, install a usb card?

Install a removable hard drive?

Install Firewire?

That box is a clever way to get the ports on the front of the machine, but there are the memory cards of all sizes that could also be used, besides the usb thumbdrives (which don't fit in a wallet).

The compatibility list makes me think the vendor is making sure the unit will work for you, and support is nice to have. At $275, there better be support....

Since a USB card is less than $50.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=S_W_Bausch;1479467]If the 'puter has usb, if the operating system supports usb, why buy that box? Am I missing something?

Machine's computer/operating system does not support USB, that's the problem. Milltronics wants $1600 to upgrade the computer and I may do that as the machine is in very good shape. Just thought this may be a cheaper alternative for now. I've called them but they haven't returned the call after two days, so I'm guessing they are gone for the holidays.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How much? last time I checked, they were like 250 and I figured I would just wait for the price to drop and someone else to start making them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Where I work, we use usb floppy emulators. I can't speak for what you linked to, but I can tell you about these. They can read a usb stick no problem, but the "disk" is only 1.44MB. You can create up to 100 "floppies" on a usb stick. It does require the special software on the PC to be able to read floppy 1-99. Floppy 0 is readable right away with only Windows Explorer. You can download and play with the special software, it is on the aforementioned link. I used the software on Vista, even though it doesn't say it will work on Vista (admin rights needed). Anyway, in my opinion, it is just as slow as a floppy. The only thing gained (in my opinion) is that you no longer need a floppy disk. It is still slow, and it is still only 1.44MB per "disk". So what if I can fit 100 "floppies" on one usb stick. Maybe that means something to someone, but not me.

Hopefully the one you show works differently. At least they imply that theirs is not as slow as a floppy. I would be sure to ask whether the usb stick is fomatted to be 1.44MB or the full size of the stick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oops, I just read the manuals for the one you linked to.
    SFDR base unit: Uses the USB flash drive storage capacity as per the equipment’s identifiable floppy drive capacity: 1.44M/1.2M/720KB.
    The USB Floppy unit cannot pretend to be more/larger than what an ordinary floppy drive is; the host computer program is not expecting more, or able to do anything about it.
    I probably wouldn't have gotten that had I not already lived it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Milltronics wants $1600 to upgrade the computer
    You may be obligated, if a proprietary operating system/proprietary motherboard.

If you had the partnumbers, perhaps save a search on ebay, have ebay send an email if anything is found, see what comes up over the next 90 days?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had wondered about the file size ablity on those before. I would have thought that they would take as much as the stick had, but still wondered. Turns out - NOT!

If you have a 232 port - you could also try the Calmotion jobbie.

Link here.

They are NOT Fanuc specific, even tho the thread is about a Fanuc. This would be $500. More than the emulator, but still 1/3 of the other option....

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bought one of these on ebay and it doesn't work. Didn't include instructions or software. Does anyone have experience with the usb floppy emulators?

Any tips would be appreciated...

Thanks,
    Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Guys , you know what ,
    I order both of those within the last 6 Months & both work Great !
    MoldCore The uSB Upgrade That you Linked works Good for me ! As it says it emulates the Flpy.Drive . As OX Says :
    I would have thought that they would take as much as the stick had, but still wondered. Turns out - NOT!
    The page shows that they have a File choser pendant or something , but you need to order separatly (I haven´t yet)
    Also C.motion USB To CNC : It cames with all necessary stuff ,

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another solution is a professional floppy emulator,
    different from mass production chinese devices.

Take a look at the EMUFDD emualtor

You'll be able to ask for info and full assistance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Wonderful product

Hi
    I tried one from this India Manufacturer . I tried on HAAS , ABB Robot, Charmilles different version . They have 3-4 models and all floppy to usb version are really great and wonderful. Also support is too good.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You have a missing link......Please post it, I am interested.