What's new
What's new

FMS Scheduling in Mazatrol machines

cammold

Plastic
Hello Mazak users,

Looking for help to resolve the below issue.

We are using FH6800 Mazak cell, Mazatrol Fusion 640M control with FMS for scheduling. Our cell is handling multiple machines with multiple pallets. Each machine has 2.0MB standard memory capacity, and Our scheduling works well for small size programs. However, when we try to transfer the program thru FMS at scheduling, it allows only 165KB max. We got "File transfer error" for >165KB file size and the pallet is kicked out from the machine and schedule not working for that pallet/job. Suspect it is related to file transfer parameter or machine parameter settings? Please review and advice.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Mazak users,

Looking for help to resolve the below issue.

We are using FH6800 Mazak cell, Mazatrol Fusion 640M control with FMS for scheduling. Our cell is handling multiple machines with multiple pallets. Each machine has 2.0MB standard memory capacity, and Our scheduling works well for small size programs. However, when we try to transfer the program thru FMS at scheduling, it allows only 165KB max. We got "File transfer error" for >165KB file size and the pallet is kicked out from the machine and schedule not working for that pallet/job. Suspect it is related to file transfer parameter or machine parameter settings? Please review and advice.

Thanks in advance.

possibly use sub programs with the main program calling the sub programs ? which normally when sub program done it returns to main program
or just run 2 programs one after the other ?

Thanks, We have to keep that option for alternate. But 165KB is too small and we ended up to split every program. If we can handle to transfer ~400 KB then we can handle majority program run without splitting or using subprogram call. We are planning to run Unmanned machining hours also so if we transfer file close to 400KB is good to achieve our target.

Note:- We have 4 machines and some of the machines can transfer up to 210KB. So I believe there is some setting to increase the file transfer size?

Thanks, We have to keep that option for alternate. But 165KB is too small and we ended up to split every program. If we can handle to transfer ~400 KB then we can handle majority program run without splitting or using subprogram call. We are planning to run Unmanned machining hours also so if we transfer file close to 400KB is good to achieve our target.

Note:- We have 4 machines and some of the machines can transfer up to 210KB. So I believe there is some setting to increase the file transfer size?

obviously ask mazak if you cannot find in the manuals for the machines

usually the cost of one person to keep a eye and ear on 2 or more machines running is cheap.
sudden tool failure can be expensive. even if afc or automatic feed control is on and machine stops on overload (usually takes at least 5 seconds to react) machine is at a stand still. that is if a operator sees a blinking yellow or red light he can walk over and see what the problem is and get machine going again.
worst is when drill bit broken. unless broken drill detection on machine the cnc will bring tool out and go through the motions. no hole usually tap or reamer breaks. if facemill looses inserts maybe you can hear noise and operator stop it. otherwise maybe machine rubs a $1000. to $10,000 tool til overload.
just saying damage can add up when nobody is around all night. i probably spend 1/3 of my time dealing with malfunctions which are not suppose to happen in the first place. many many reasons for them often its machine is getting older. worst is electronic circuit board problems. malfunctions often not predictable

Agreed, We already overcome this issue by adding Tool breakage macro and threshold setting on the machine. In addition, a programmer using only predefine & proven tool selection and tool parameters.

We are trying to increase the file transfer capacity to improve our scheduling process . Looking more on machine parameter or FMS settings details.

Thanks

Assuming you can rule out the Mazak end of it (can't help with that...), are your ports all set up correctly, assuming file transfer thru rs232?

Did this used to work and is not working now? If it used to work, I would start checking hardware and cables for anything suspicious....

Anything funky/special the machine needs (assume not since it gets a partial file), like file name must start with the letter O followed by 5 digits (common on a Haas, some Fanuc models)... X on/off, handshaking, etc?

Cable length (again assuming rs232)? I don't know if it is the same anymore, but longer cables used to degrade transfers and cause some errors like not getting the entire file.

Have you even asked Mazak directly? They would probably know better than random people on the internet. Your company has probably 20 million dollars worth of equipment from them so I'm sure they'll be willing to help.

Have you even asked Mazak directly? They would probably know better than random people on the internet. Your company has probably 20 million dollars worth of equipment from them so I'm sure they'll be willing to help.

Bah! 20mil is chump change for them. AND they already have the money so why bother? :D

Bah! 20mil is chump change for them. AND they already have the money so why bother? :D

Chump change, maybe for the Mazak head office, but tell that to the salesmen to sold the machines. I'm sure they each made enough on the deals to last several retirements.

Besides why would Mazak not want to help this customer, or any customer for that fact? Don't help a customer now, they will be less inclined to buy from you in the future.

Back