Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyman View Post
    The main bad part for me is that I have to indicate the center jaw every time I move it to a new position or it can be off by a couple thou so its like having to indicate 2 vises.
    You have to align the center jaw, even when using the dowel pins?

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    Don't fret, I am a card-carrying member:

Attachment 253171
    Card-Carrier my ass! Ten of those you should be considered a share-holder!

3. Likes Philabuster, BSCustoms liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post
    You have to align the center jaw, even when using the dowel pins?
    Yes, you do, if .002 matters to what you are doing. There is a couple thou to be had. This is reasonably the limit for manufacturing these imho, considering there's a pattern of holes. If it were only two and two, you could match drill/ream and get better. There's also the issue of being able to get it on and off. You'd need a robot to set the thing as the holes would become even less forgiving and would want to bind. Small price to pay for the ability to do all the things the dual station can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thunderskunk View Post
    I haven’t put a lot of hours on the Orange vise yet. I did not realize I’d ordered one with aluminum jaw carriers, which I whole heartily regret. The pin holes are nice though. Seems to get knicked up a lot easier than it’s blue-colored rivals.

Also bought a set of MMM step jaws with the teeth. Didn’t realize that talon grip does essentially the same thing, being built in to the orange vise. That and about a month after I bought them they discontinued them, so that’s nice...
    We had some major supply issues and ended up discontinuing the aluminum master jaws. Couldn't deal with an open-ended, 5-month estimated lead time quoted back in January for 7000 series plate in the size we needed.

We have a $100 cast iron upgrade program if you're interested. No expiration date on this offer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosK View Post
    Yes, you do, if .002 matters to what you are doing. There is a couple thou to be had. This is reasonably the limit for manufacturing these imho, considering there's a pattern of holes. If it were only two and two, you could match drill/ream and get better. There's also the issue of being able to get it on and off. You'd need a robot to set the thing as the holes would become even less forgiving and would want to bind. Small price to pay for the ability to do all the things the dual station can.
    For now, if you install the center jaw the same way every time, e.g. use one hand to pull the jaw toward you, and use your other hand to tighten the screws, left screw first, then the right, then torque them down, you'll generally repeat within a few tenths. Reason for this is that the dowel pin holes have a few tenths of built-in clearance. Sine error amplifies the alignment error, thus the importance of applying pressure to the jaw when installing.

We're working on offering an optional set of tighter fitting pins ground just a few tenths larger. They will have a transition/light press fit, and will include some extra hardware to eject the dowels, as you won't be able to pull them out by hand.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Vise View Post
    For now, if you install the center jaw the same way every time, e.g. use one hand to pull the jaw toward you, and use your other hand to tighten the screws, left screw first, then the right, then torque them down, you'll generally repeat within a few tenths.
    Gotcha. When I set mine on the table I indicated the length of the body, so the perpendicularity of that to the front of the jaw face isn't perfect. Maybe I'll go back and try for that when time allows. Your designs are great. Just our physical reality..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They will have a transition/light press fit, and will include some extra hardware to eject the dowels, as you won't be able to pull them out by hand.
    Sell/include a mini dowel puller. Cheap/easy to make.

When I get my second orange vise, I had planned on setting up the first semi permanently with light press fit dowels and leaving it. If I can get the cast cast iron center and sliding jaws, I'll leave it set up that way.

Now I just need to beg the model for the soft jaws from you so I can run a batch of A2 jaws for some long term products that I want hardened/ground/hardmilled jaws for.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Vermont
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We had some major supply issues and ended up discontinuing the aluminum master jaws. Couldn't deal with an open-ended, 5-month estimated lead time quoted back in January for 7000 series plate in the size we needed.

We have a $100 cast iron upgrade program if you're interested. No expiration date on this offer.
    I’ll send you an email.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't always have to align it up as I do as Eric mentioned and pull it toward me as a torque it down. However, I still end up having to check it it anyways with an indicator to make sure and sometimes its off. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, I don't know but I avoid moving the center carrier and pretty much always use the vises in dual station configuration.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Vermont
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Steel jaws just came in today, much more robust! Can’t say enough about the customer service from both Frank at Maritool and the folks with Orange Vise.