What's new
What's new

Followup on Kurt 6" Vice for TM-1P

SobtzakTech

Plastic
Hi All! I run a small shop on the side and am moving into the world of CNC (finally!). I got a HAAS TM-1P coming. I've read some threads that the Kurt 688 vise is a great vice for this but you had to cut off part of the hex head in order to allow for the doors to close. Looking into it, I see Kurt no longer makes the 688 and its replacement is the DX6. I've seen some discussion on this but can't find the exact answer so here goes. Will the DX6 fit on a TM-1P and if so, do you have to modify it like the prior 688 vice? Any feedback is appreciated!

You can get cad models from both kurt and HAAS sites if you are CAD capable.
I've got 2 688's. I've heard about various issues with the DX6. If I were starting new, I would look at Orange vise. As far as size, the HAAS is that small ?.

I have a half dozen Kurt 6 inch vises, in good shape, not new but good, PM me with your contact info and I will be where they are in 2 weeks. If this time frame works for you. Also I have a guy that wants to trade me a 6 inch and a 6 inch double lock for 1 pair of 6 inch vises, you may like the double lock? I am moving and have to get rid of them all.

We have a TM1-P and use a 6" Kurt "first quadrant" vise. The fixed jaw is on the handle end and the moveable jaw is pulled, not pushed, to tighten it up. It fits just fine across the table and doesn't hit either the doors or the column if positioned properly.

Back