What's new
What's new

Ford 4.6 bellhousing boltpattern

I needed the dowel pin location to the pump centerline dimensions, and the bolt hole locations. After checking a 302 bell the dowel pins seem to be the same location only larger, and the top two bolt holes in the case appear to be the same. This is for a transmission dyno so I think I will be ok.

If you don't get what you need by tomorrow, I have a spare 6.4 that is supposed to be the same, that I can measure.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I can make the dimensions into a print and send to you or try to post here.

I don't recall 100%, but 80% sure that the mod pattern shares 2 locations with the small block pattern, but most is different.

6.0/6.4/6.7 powerstroke uses the modular BH pattern on the automatic engines. The stickshift powerstroke is 100% different.

Sent DXF to your email. Dimensions were taken from timing housing of 6.0 Powerstroke using CNC mill and DTI with gauge pins.

Nice work Garwood. But did you catch that he is looking for the 4.6 Gasser? My guess is that the PS is hooked to a much larger tranny and would have a different pattern..

Thanks again Garwood. ARB the newer Ford diesels share the same modular bolt pattern and 4r100, 5r110w transmissions. The torque converter and valve body calibration are different.

Thanks again Garwood. ARB the newer Ford diesels share the same modular bolt pattern and 4r100, 5r110w transmissions. The torque converter and valve body calibration are different.

That's smart. It would have been pretty sweet 50 years ago if everyone settled on a single bolt pattern for mounting a trans to an engine in a rear drive rig... That would make swaps so much easier.. Lol

You'd think it would make it easier, but even when you get into SAE 4,3,2 stuff there are countless variations. The bellhousings all bolt up for a given size, but there's a lot of other variables- Starter location tooth pitch, depth of housing, type of flywheel or flexplate, pilot/pilot bearing diameter.

Car/pickup bellhousings have a lot of variation out of necessity usually. Maybe back in the 50's there was a ton of room and they just picked geometry that looked good, but as things got more complex and automakers came out with different ways of doing the same things you got drastically differing bellhousing shapes out of necessity.

Atleast with car/pickup bellhousing stuff, if you're around it somewhat, you can tell what something is pretty quickly.

Back