Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Free End mill Feed and Speed calculator V10

Version 10 update, i have been using Excel or the free Open Office Calc program to create a powerful spreadsheet that automatically calculates

1) Enter SFPM maximum for material being cut

2) Enter Diameter of end mill and number of flutes

3) Enter Machinability Rating of material being cut. For example Aluminum at 2.0 as compared to Steel at 1.0 can have end mill take a deeper depth of cut before end mill has destructive chatter. Chart gives MR ratings for common materials.

4) Spreadsheet gives 3 main rows on RPM, Feed, and Depth of Cut. 3 rows are for end mill length factor. Obviously a long end mill can only take a shallower depth of cut that a shorter one before destructive chatter. Length factor can be entered or adjusted so if you have an extra long end mill you can get even shallower depth of cut recommendations.

5) Chip thickness is calculated at Cutter diameter x 0.0025 then plus 0.0005. Thus even the smallest end mill is given at least a 0.0005" chip thickness.

6) Center of Spreadsheet gives the most important information cubic inches per minute removed AND cubic IPM / MR rating or a rough estimate of horsepower requirements. The purpose of spreadsheet is to find the best end mill size to remove the most material the fastest without stalling mill motor and or causing destructive chatter.

7) So given the best end mill size, rpm, feed and depth of cut to use you might have to use LESS spfm which gives lower rpm and feed AND thus less horsepower needed because ALSO the part needs to be able to be held in a vise without getting pushed out of it. Smaller Diameter end mill or less flutes will also use less horsepower.

8) Chart also gives 2 rows on Side or radial milling which is High depth of cut and small step over. cutting on side of end mill can be done at 20% higher sfpm as the end mill has more time to cool as it revolves.

9) Basically the spread sheet does the math and I have found it will do machining jobs often 10 - 20 times faster than what a "expert" machinist thought was fastest. Use at your own risk (take all safety precautions) and remember Feed Over ride at less than 50% and if everything looks ok throttle up to 100%. If chatter is too much in general you need to use slower sfpm and smaller diameter end mill (or one with less flutes) to lessen horsepower forces.

10) i have found this excel spread sheet to be a extremely powerful tool. By using a computer to do the math you can in seconds find the fastest way to mill a part.

PS i will attach spread sheet in a zip file in next note, not sure why i cannot attach to 1st note. ALSO the spread sheet must be saved to a folder to use or change it. if you try to use from a zip file it will usually be in read only mode and cannot be changed.
    ......feel free to edit formulas as you feel the need and remember even if you have the horsepower you need to be able to hold the part. Often you have to go slower.

2. Likes dmbanwarth liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Excel Feed and Speed calculator

attaching in a zip file. remember it needs to be saved to a folder. if run from a zip file it will usually be in read only mode and cannot be changed.
    ..... you need to able to enter sfpm, dia, etc for it to recalculate.
    i attached picture or screen shot of what it looks like too
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails excelcalculator_screenshot.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

4. Likes dmbanwarth liked this post