What's new
What's new

Free Online Resources For Machining Fundamentals

ac4200

Plastic
Hello All,
I am re-training to get back into machining, it has been a while. I searched the forum, but I am looking for a full set of online available PDF's to do with machining. The machinists handbook is available as an online PDF, are their others? Is there a master list of free resources? Anything related to the field.
Thanks,
Alex Collier

Hello All,
I am re-training to get back into machining, it has been a while. I searched the forum, but I am looking for a full set of online available PDF's to do with machining. The machinists handbook is available as an online PDF, are their others? Is there a master list of free resources? Anything related to the field.
Thanks,
Alex Collier
usually free tooling catalogs on the internet and the machine manuals of more modern machines are free on the internet too. often machine manuals specific to you particular machines are in the shop.
cnc manuals are often 1000 to 3000 pages. good luck reading all that.
machinerys handbook is of limited value. usually go off tool manufacturers data, machine manufacturers data and the drawing or blueprint. some shops there isnt a single machinerys handbook in the whole shop or if there is its in the engineering library
most shops have work instructions or procedures to setup and do jobs. usually powerpoint slide show on computer, or at least a pencil and paper created one scanned in and viewed on computer when needed

Hello All,
Thanks,
Alex Collier

If it were 1950. And there were PDF's, I would say "yes".

Today, there are so many configurations, methods, machine types, controls, softwares, Tool tech. It's too hard to have a single comprehensive source for it all.

If I were you, I would ask more specific questions, and the people on this board will answer them as they come.

R

cnc often similar enough to be confusing. that is different cnc might need slightly different operation and even programming
for example one cnc
M6 T10000001;
for tool change and on another
T10000001;
M6;
......and if you put both on same line on certain cnc it will alarm out. just saying usually better to read the manuals that came with the machine

most places where you work they got book shelves and or drawers full of machine manuals and modern times the electronic pdf versions are available
then there are work instructions, procedures explaining stuff too. besides the catalogs of cutting and measuring tools
literally shop might have 10,000 to 1,000,000 pages of stuff to study for free. i would avoid buying a lot of stuff. some will try to sell you stuff that often you do not need.

Back