What's new
What's new

Friction Surface

zschary

Aluminum
Hello.. I need to machine a friction surface onto the face of a pulley for a mechanical clutch.. So a rough surface on the face of the pulley..
i believe it will need to be a fast feed across the surface essentially to put a spiral groove on the surface and not really sure how to calculate that type of thing..
here is an image of one i did, but its still not fast enough and of course is a relationship to the rpm of the part vs the speed of the tool going across.. Have any of you guys done this kind of thing? i am trying to get a formula without too much trial and error.. My CAM program will not simulate that for some reason.. The material is 1018 SteelIMG_1626.jpg

Thanks in advance
Zach

CSS G01 X whatever F.05 to .1 with blunted threading tool. I reface sheep shearing blade dressing discs that call for .02 deep groove with .01 radius tool nose at .04 feed.

Hello.. I need to machine a friction surface onto the face of a pulley for a mechanical clutch.. So a rough surface on the face of the pulley..
i believe it will need to be a fast feed across the surface essentially to put a spiral groove on the surface and not really sure how to calculate that type of thing..
here is an image of one i did, but its still not fast enough and of course is a relationship to the rpm of the part vs the speed of the tool going across.. Have any of you guys done this kind of thing? i am trying to get a formula without too much trial and error.. My CAM program will not simulate that for some reason.. The material is 1018 SteelView attachment 297257

Thanks in advance
Zach
if it use friction disk type clutch, the finish actually might need to be fine not rough. something similar to a clutch in an auto transmission.
need, more research required, I could be wrong , I am thinking 63 micro finish. any one else?

many of these components i have seen over the years and with these kinds of clutches, unlike auto's clutch surface, its a rough spiral looking thing .008 thou to ,01 or thereabouts apart going up the surface.. Thanks for all the help, just need to figure the feed against speed to do something like this and try to work it out so its repeatable..

Back