What's new
What's new

Frontier L missing threading macro

oldokie

Plastic
Hello, first post but have gained lots of help over the years in covered topics. We have a 1994 Mori Seiki Frontier lathe with the MSC 521 control. Apparently this control used a macro program to thread in a G76 fashion, which I don't understand since the T6 in 1980 has G76 threading. My problem is the 9000 programs for OD and ID threading are gone from the control.
This machine was purchased used and I remember at the time the dealer it came from had a issue getting running because of dead batteries, so that's probably when these macros were lost. we have only ever used it as a second operation machine where threading wasn't needed until this week.
I know I still have G92 and that's not a problem, I would just like to have the simplicity of the single line threading, If anyone has the macro programs 9207 and 9208 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve

Hello, first post but have gained lots of help over the years in covered topics. We have a 1994 Mori Seiki Frontier lathe with the MSC 521 control. Apparently this control used a macro program to thread in a G76 fashion, which I don't understand since the T6 in 1980 has G76 threading. My problem is the 9000 programs for OD and ID threading are gone from the control.
This machine was purchased used and I remember at the time the dealer it came from had a issue getting running because of dead batteries, so that's probably when these macros were lost. we have only ever used it as a second operation machine where threading wasn't needed until this week.
I know I still have G92 and that's not a problem, I would just like to have the simplicity of the single line threading, If anyone has the macro programs 9207 and 9208 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve

Hello oldokie,

Its unusual for a machine to be equipped with a Macro Program to mimic a G76 Threading Cycle, unless the suite of Multi-repetitive Cycles were not purchased with the machine. Most would think that these cycles are basic, and in the majority of times the MTB will includes them in the build, but they are a Fanuc, Option (I think the MSC 521 control was a cooperation between Fanuc and Mori). If this were the case, it could be that after the initial sale of the machine, someone has created their own G76 Cycle and therefore, the Macro Programs that have been lost are unique to your machine.

Does your machine have the G71 Roughing Cycle? If no, then its likely that its a case as described above. If yes, then the G76 Cycle as supplied by Fanuc should be available on your machine. In this case, I would contact the MTB and or Fanuc, stating the machine serial number. If it still exist with your machine (they tend to get lost over time) a build sheet will specify the options supplied with the control.

Regards,

Bill

Yes, the MSC521 is Fanuc hardware with minimal U/I changes via Mori Seiki. The shop I retired from had a few SL series lathes with that control and they all had the G70 range of cycles. I too suspect, that the OP's machine may have been spec'd without those cycles and macros were implemented to emulate them.

Post the content of parameters 9920 and 9921 from your control to verify this idea.

My thoughts too guys, but the manuals that came with it show g65 calls for all the canned cycles. The one for the threading are said to be registered at shipment and if others are needed to contact Mori Seiki. Which I have done without a response so far. That's why I thought I might find someone with one of these machines here.
param 9920 is 00101010 and 9921 is 11110000

Cycles.jpgg65.jpg

Last edited:
My thoughts too guys, but the manuals that came with it show g65 calls for all the canned cycles. The one for the threading are said to be registered at shipment and if others are needed to contact Mori Seiki. Which I have done without a response so far. That's why I thought I might find someone with one of these machines here.
param 9920 is 00101010 and 9921 is 11110000

View attachment 252513View attachment 252514

Hello oldokie,
I'd say that is an exercise in reinventing the wheel. If the OD and ID Roughing Cycles Mimic the G71 cycle, that would be an impressive exercise to accomplish with User Macro.

The Fanuc Conversational Program for Milling, circa 80s, was all done in User Macro. In that, roughing of a profile was achieved by varying the radius value of the tool. Mimicking the G71 cycle is a totally different kettle of fish. The cut line at each DOC is projected onto the Profile and the intersection point calculated; this is not a simple task.

The G76 Cycle is straight forward to mimic, as there is only a uniform Z to deal with for the end of each pass. If you do no good with Mori (I would exhaust that avenue first), I have a Macro Program for an enhanced G76 cycle, whereby its able to cut a Multi Start Thread, by taking consecutive passes on all the Starts (instead of cutting one Start to depth before indexing to the next Start) until all are to depth. I will have to look back through old work to find it, but I will have it.

Regards,

Bill

Bill, yes all the other roughing cycles are maximum of two steps and square steps at that so no intersecting points to calculate and of coase the grooving cycles are just pecking so very simple. I will let you know what Mori says, but I doubt they give a rip about a 20 year old machine.

Back