What's new
What's new

Frustrated, using 360 and trying to machine stock ends but wants to hit vice

HappyHapgood

Plastic
I am a beginner and I've searched high and low for how to resolve this challenge. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm actually excited, because last night I machined my first part based on a Fusion360 program. It was fairly simple but worked as expected. But on to my challenge...

I am using Fusion 360 and trying to make a fairly simple part. The part is the same length as my soft jaws, so I planned to face the top and then mill off each end of the stock right up to the soft jaws.

Problem is that I can't find any way in Fusion360 to mill off those ends without a tool path that curves into the stock from "inside" and thereby mill into the soft jaws. I've tried lead-in angles, I've tried making sketches and solid bodies that "stock contours" should protect. But nothing works. And as a beginner its especially challenging because each strategy seems to suggest a different theory for how to protect areas. Actually, I'm also confused why some of the strategies want to mill stock from the sides that are already perfectly sized (and sitting in the soft jaws.

Here's a screenshot that shows how the tool wants to curve into the stock. The "grey" parts on the top and bottom are extra bodies that I created to try to get the stock contours to avoid.

Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 10.54.01 AM.jpg

Any suggestions? Which strategy would work best? Specifics on setup? FYI, the stock and the vice soft jaws are exactly 3" long. The stock is already perfectly sized at 2.25" (manually faced down to get proper size) and the height of the stock is 0.31 that will be faced down to 0.25 (taking some off in first op and down to 0.25" in second op).

Thanks for any help!

Matt

I am a beginner and I've searched high and low for how to resolve this challenge. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm actually excited, because last night I machined my first part based on a Fusion360 program. It was fairly simple but worked as expected. But on to my challenge...

I am using Fusion 360 and trying to make a fairly simple part. The part is the same length as my soft jaws, so I planned to face the top and then mill off each end of the stock right up to the soft jaws.

Problem is that I can't find any way in Fusion360 to mill off those ends without a tool path that curves into the stock from "inside" and thereby mill into the soft jaws. I've tried lead-in angles, I've tried making sketches and solid bodies that "stock contours" should protect. But nothing works. And as a beginner its especially challenging because each strategy seems to suggest a different theory for how to protect areas. Actually, I'm also confused why some of the strategies want to mill stock from the sides that are already perfectly sized (and sitting in the soft jaws.

Here's a screenshot that shows how the tool wants to curve into the stock. The "grey" parts on the top and bottom are extra bodies that I created to try to get the stock contours to avoid.

View attachment 308683

Any suggestions? Which strategy would work best? Specifics on setup? FYI, the stock and the vice soft jaws are exactly 3" long. The stock is already perfectly sized at 2.25" (manually faced down to get proper size) and the height of the stock is 0.31 that will be faced down to 0.25 (taking some off in first op and down to 0.25" in second op).

Thanks for any help!

Matt

Is there a radius on the 4 corners of your part ?, It kind of looks like the tool path is starting
at the tangent point on the rad then going around the corner, Try just picking the edge of the part,
then turn off any leadin/ out moves.

Youtube has many good fusion tutorials

You should be able to change the direction of your lead in, or in other words which side of the line/geometry you are on. There should be a setting to change it so you can use a radius or ramp lead in without gouging the part.

If you change from climb cutting to conventional does it still have the lead in/out into the part or does it swap to the outside?

Use a "2D contour" operation. Select ONLY the outer edge — on a Mac you do this by holding down option and clicking the segment. You want to follow the contour on the outside, so click the red directional arrow until it is on the correct side.

2d-outside-contour-setup.jpg

This will get you the path you want:

2d-outside-contour.jpg

My corners are not radiused. I've looked at more YouTubes than I care to mention. Almost embarrassed by my screen time. I eventually resolved it in a very kludgy manner, but had to do it with a 3d contour.

Well THAT was a GREAT solution. Thank you VERY much for the specific recommendation and how to accomplish it. I don't think I would have ever found that "option" and click method.

THANK YOU trochoidalpath!

You can also create a sketch with *exactly* where you want the tool to go, and then use the "Trace" strategy.

PM

Does anyone here remember how to program manually with G code?

Yeah, but if you can't master your cadcam skills on simple projects, do you think that makes it easier to do something complex? It's not just about getting it done if you're learning and trying to develop comprehensive skills.

Nothing wrong with improving your cad/cam skills. It is necessary to be proficient in these areas in order to be competitive and profitable. However, the ability to read, understand and be able to edit code manually is also a relevant and important skill. Software has become more reliable and efficient in generating tool paths, but I still like to be able to scan through code to check for errors and verify tools are going where they are supposed to.

btw another way to do it with your original toolpath is just to select "path extension" and put in a larger value until it clears the obstruction.

Back